URSA Mini 4K Colouring Workflow, what's yours?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

DeanPoulopoulos

URSA Mini 4K Colouring Workflow, what's yours?

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 am

Hi!

We've just grabbed an URSA Mini 4K at my workplace, and I've spent the last week or so trying to get decent footage out of the thing. I don't know where exactly I'm going wrong, so I've got a few questions and I'd love to hear about what you do with your footage in post.

I shoot ProRes HQ 1080, film, with a Canon 17-55 f2.8. I load the footage into Resolve, and every configuration of LUTs or grading from scratch ends up with skin tones looking super funny and highlights being very over-coloured. Every LUT I use is very contrasty and over-saturated. I'm far from a great colourist, but usually if I bash my head at the problem for long enough it goes away and I end up with a decent image. I have tried all kinds of different exposures and different LUTs to get to rec709, but again I often end up with footage I just don't like. LUTs also tend to look quite decent when they're on the LCD whilst playing around, but as soon as I use the same one in post it looks a little weird.

So here are a few questions:

1. What LUTs do you use with this camera (if you use any at all)?
2. Should regular LOG LUTs be working with my footage straight out of camera? It feels like the image is too contrasty and most LOG LUTs are just made for ALEXA style LOG.
3. I've given this a shot in Premiere, and the footage instantly looks nicer than Resolve with LUTs. I really prefer using Resolve for colouring though, so what is premiere doing to the footage that I can replicate in Resolve?

Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to reading about your workflows :)

Return to Getting Started