VIDEO ASSIST HD with ALEXA MINI

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Nicolas Gril

VIDEO ASSIST HD with ALEXA MINI

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi everyone..this is my first post...I was wondering if you can use the Video Assist HD (NOT the 4K one) to monitor and record from an ALEXA MINI? I need it to get "instant" dailies in 1080 :D

Thank you!

Denny Smith

Re: VIDEO ASSIST HD with ALEXA MINI

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Should work as long as the Alexa is not set higher the UHD, which is the highest resolution the VA HD accepts. The VA will down convert the UHD signal to HD and record it in HD resolution at the frame rate set in the camers. Also camera project frame rate needs to be no higher the 60fps.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Nicolas Gril

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Should work as long as the Alexa is not set higher the UHD, which is the highest resolution the VA HD accepts. The VA will down convert the UHD signal to HD and record it in HD resolution at the frame rate set in the camers. Also camera project frame rate needs to be no higher the 60fps.
Cheers

Thanks a lot Denny, I appreciate it...I believe the mini is topped at UHD, correct? Also, im pretty sure the project frame rate will be 23.98, so I think all is good.

I just purchased the VA and for one second had doubts about it working with the Alexa Mini...and now that we are here, this means that It would not work with a Red Dragon, for example, if it is set to real 4K or higher?

Thanks again,

Nico.

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm

No, the VA will not accept a full 4K signal from any camera, UHD is max resolution, 60fps is max frame rate.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Denny Smith wrote:No, the VA will not accept a full 4K signal from any camera, UHD is max resolution, 60fps is max frame rate.
UHD 60 FPS = 12G-sdi.!! :| The VA and VA4K only support 6G-sdi and so UHD 30P is maximum allowed input resolution framerate.

For 12G-sdi you need to look at the Atomos recorders or other brands.

But if i remember correctly the Alexa and other Arri cams have 6g and Dual link 6G outputs. They don't have a 12G output.
Red Weapon / Dragon does not even output more then HD on it's monitor outputs.
If you want to output 4K from a RED you need an attachement that costs around 6K to have Quadlink output.... :(
I wish that RED had at least 4K hdmi on there body. As the Sony FS7 does. And even the FS7 is just 3G 1080P maximum on it's SDI outputs..

At this moment the only cameras that have 12G-SDI output are the Ursa series.

Aja Cion has 4K hdmi and Quadlink SDI
F5 & F55 have Quadlink SDI.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 6:12 pm

You are correct, I was referring to UHD being the max resolution, and 60fps being the max frame rate, but not necessarily both together.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

videotranscontinental

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 am

Hello there,

I'm looking into using the BM VAssist as a "proxy mill", so I get instant dailies.
Do you guys know if the BM V Assist carrys over ALEXA Mini's metadata form the SDI stream, like the clip's file name? So editorial would be super happy to online with the originals.

Thanks,
Miles

Xtreemtec

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm

It doesn't The VA has it's own nameing of files which often tend to reset when you put a new card in.. :(
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started