SD Compatibility with Blackmagic Video Assist

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Justin Higgins

SD Compatibility with Blackmagic Video Assist

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 am

I just purchased the Blackmagic Video Assist HD (NOT 4K) and I have a question about the SD card I should be using.

I reviewed the product manual provided by Blackmagic Support for the Video Assist and purchased the recommended SD card; Lexar SDXC UHS-II 1000x 150MB/s 128GB. I am now reviewing information from Blackmagic Support and in a separate post (not from the manual) and it says I should only be using UHS-I SD cards for the Blackmagic Video Assist. It seems, from the separate post also by Blackmagic, I purchased the wrong SD card and I should be using a Lexar Professional SD XC 600x 128GB instead. Is this correct, should I change the SD card I am using? Will it affect the video that is recorded and/or drop frames? I am confused by the conflicting information provided by Blackmagic.

-Higgins

Denny Smith

Re: SD Compatibility with Blackmagic Video Assist

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Yes, the manual covers both VAs and you must have seen the SD card list for the VA4K, which has a UHS2 interface. The VA HD 5-inch model is UHS1 only. While the recommended Lexar cards will work, I have had better luck with the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS1 SD cards, which are rated and actually meet the 95mps dats rate. The 128GB cards work the best it seems. The UHS2 SD cards will not work very well, or at all, on the VA HD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started