VA 4K broke

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mike Proulx

VA 4K broke

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Here's my bad experience: my Video Assist 4k flipped out, quit recording after 8 minutes, the screen went black, then after a second attempt the screen displayed vertical bluish lines and a generally garbled image and the audio was nothing but static. I sent the unit to Blackmagic and I just got an email saying they need to replace the main board for 695.00. This unit was a replacement for the first VA4K I bought from Adorama in July 2016 but I returned that unit within 30 days because of audio that was nothing but static and now this replacement unit is junk after one year and 4 months. Shouldn't these machines last a little bit longer? Was there a known bad batch? I don't feel like I could even trust a repair to last either. I need a recorder for my Micro Studio 4K camera but I'm somewhat stunned right now. Any thoughts from anyone?
Thanks, Mike

A couple more details: I was running the camera and the VA4K on AC power with their separate power supplies, and connected via SDI cable before powering up. When the VA4K failed it would not power down or do anything so I had to pull the power plug to shut it off. It seemed like it was warmer than it should've been, like it overheated.

Denny Smith

Re: VA 4K broke

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:51 am

I use the Video Devices Pix E with my Micro Studio camers, great audio, had it for more than year, no issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mike Proulx

Re: VA 4K broke

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Thats what I was thinking - time to move to another brand. I need to have a dependable device. We live in a disposable world, I already disposed of most of my money, lol. I have to buy my own equipment, no company to buy it for me. I hope that UMP I bought in October lasts a while longer. Sorry about my whining.

Return to Getting Started