BM Video Assist 4K vs Ninja Flame vs.....

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chris Leutger

BM Video Assist 4K vs Ninja Flame vs.....

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 am

I have a BM Pocket camera and have decided that I need a focusing monitor. The Zacuto magnifier is helpful but my eyes ain't what they used to be. At a class recently I saw a Ninja something and thought that's pretty sweet and checked it out and it's under a grand so that's good. I went to the local camera shop and checked out the Ninja Flame, The SmallHD Focus and the BM VA's in both 5" and 7" versions. Decided nope to 5" anything. Too small.
What I don't like about the Ninja Flame - it's really huge. Add huge batteries. Add SS drives to make it heavier, etc. It seemed overkill for my Pocket cam. It does have a killer screen, 3D LUTS and nice menus.
What I like about the BM VA 4K is the size, the batteries are smaller and it records to SD cards. I like the connectivity options as well. I couldn't get a good sense of the quality of the screen in a camera store at night. Of course the sales guy was telling me it's fantastic.

However, the number one reason I want this is to focus outdoors in whatever light is available but I shoot mostly in LA, New Mexico and yearly, Detroit in the summertime. I'm also looking at the SmallHD 702 Bright cuz I saw Denny Smith mention it somewhere. The Ninja screen is the brightest from what I can tell followed by the SmallHD. I can't find any information on brightness or contrast on the VA 4k's screen. I checked out the SmallHD because I was thinking that perhaps I could live without off camera recording. As long as I get LUTS. Though it sure would be nice to not have to pull SD cards out of the bottom of the camera.

Has anyone compared these? Any opinions on the VA 4k in daylight? While I'm definitely not excited about the size of the Atomos, I'd hate to buy the BM VA 4k and find that I'm not getting my primary purpose fulfilled by it's screen. Thanks in advance.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Howard Roll

Re: BM Video Assist 4K vs Ninja Flame vs.....

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 pm

That's a pickle.

The Ninja Flame is 4 times the size and 3 times the weight of the pocket camera, but it has the best features and price of them all.

The BM 7" VA is I think maybe 500 nits at best, you may squeak by with a deep hood but it also needs expensive UHS II cards. The 128GB Sandisk is about $250 bucks vs. the pro cards that cost about $65.

The SmallHD is probably the best suited but it's almost 2x the price of the others.

Really the best monitor is the 5" SmallHD ultrabrite, at 2200 nits your pupils will close down to pinpricks and render the smaller screen in sharp focus. At $2500 bucks its a steal.

Good Luck

Chris Leutger

Re: BM Video Assist 4K vs Ninja Flame vs.....

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks, that helps. I really need the screen to work in sunlight more than I need the other features. Yeah, that Ninja screen rocks. Even the SmallHD 702 Bright isn't as bright at the Atomos. The other issue with the SmallHD besides price is quality. Lots of stories of bad build quality on shopping sites and various forums. Tempered with lots of stories of people using them just fine. Sigh. I've seen the 702 Bright for a grand on ebay which is what puts them in my budget. But $2500 for the 5" you recommend is way over. Similarly the SmallHD Sidefinder seems optimal and is more in my budget but lots of negatives on the implementation.

If only BM had put out a brighter screen.....
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Return to Getting Started