Help re: SSD recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Help re: SSD recorder

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the difference between the following two products:

- "Blackmagic Design Ursa Mini SSD Recorder"

- "Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 SSD Video Recorder"

What are the pros and cons of each product and which would you guys recommend for using with the URSA Mini Pro. Please feel free to be as specific and detailed as possible as this was a major oversight on my behalf (I thought they were the same product!!!).

Many thanks! :D

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Help re: SSD recorder

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello Manny. They are two completely different products. The URSA Mini SSD Recorder mounts and connects directly to the URSA Mini and will record compressed and Raw data just as if it is internal to the camera. The Hyperdeck Shuttle records SDI video only HD. If you have an URSA Mini or Pro and you want to record on SSD, you will want to have the SSD Recorder.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 pm

The only “Con” on the UM SSD recorder, is it uses both the rear SDI output and input, so you are on,ymleft eith the front SDI output. This is not an issue for stand alone recording situations where you do not need to have a director’s monitor.

The Hyoerdeck Shuttle is an older product that allowed recording the video output stream from older tape-cased video cameras and DSLRs in SD and HD resolutions using ProRes or DNxHD, no raw recording, but it does record uncompressed video also.

I second Gary, for the UM, the new SSD recorder is the way to go.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

James McDonagh

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks for the help guys :)

Return to Getting Started