Recommendations for DSLR to use with Video Assist 4k

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chapman Woodriff

Recommendations for DSLR to use with Video Assist 4k

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello and thanks in advance to anyone with advice on this matter.

In a recent forum post I started a friendly Blackmagic user informed me that my Nikon P900 will not work with the Video Assist 4K. Indeed, it only monitors what has already been recorded on the camera and will not allow me to record using the P900.

I wanted to reach out to the community here to get some advice on what DSLR to get to use with the unit?

It seems that Canon DSLRs, from what I have found poking around with searches online, are very useable with the Video Assist 4K.

That said, I am not going to limit myself just to Canon if anyone has another recommendation.

The questions:

1) Does anyone have experience using the Video Assist 4K with a DSLR and, if so, what model DSLR do you use with it? Did it require any extra steps to get working?

2) Is there any specific model of DSLR that I should consider getting to use with this unit?

FYI: I don't have a huge budget, so I'd appreciate recommendations that are not super pricey!

Thanks so much!

Denny Smith

Re: Recommendations for DSLR to use with Video Assist 4k

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Look at a used Nikon D7100 or 7200, both will work very well (not 4K however) and you keep the Nikon image quality you are used to. Canon is a different IQ look to its image, and Canin lenses lack an iris ring (auto lenses only) and are more limiting. On the Nikon DSLR, you can use older Nikon manual AIS lenses as well as newer auto lenses, since yiu are on a budget.

You can also use some of the MFT mirrorless cameras from Panasonic (GH4 is nice, available used) or Olympus (I have a like the Pen F, as well I have owned the Nikon D 7100.

That said, thee are all HD cameras, for 4K DSLR, you will need to spend $2-3K for a Camera. The route I went, was the BM Micro Studio 4K Camera, works with the Video Assist, and has a nice ready to use video quality that does not require a lot of post processing like the Cinema Camera versions shooting raw or film log. You can get a used Micro Studio for under $1K, and it uses MFT lenses from Panasonic or Olympus, or adapted Nikon lenses (using the Metsbone BMPCC Speed Booster which I also use). You get more bang for your buck this way. The new firmware update (4.7.1) has improved the image quality of the Micro Studio and increased its ISO base, in addition to addition additional remote capabilities. This is a Camera you can start with the basic, and grow or add on as time goes by.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Baldwin

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm

FWIW I have used the 5" and 7" video assists with the Nikon D4 and D800. They both provide a clean output. I think the D7200 is the minimum requirement for a clean output. The D7000 doesn't give a clean output. If you want 4K output from a Nikon DSLR you need either a D850, D5 or D500(I think). You won't get any better quality by recording to a VA but you will bypass the 20 minute clip duration limit as well as getting all the exposure tools which you will be aware of.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 am

Patrick, good catch. I may have gotten D7100 and D7200 mixed up. Thanks
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ErichLinder

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 pm

It also depends on what you plan to shoot and how you'll edit it. My Nikon D5 and Olympus EM-1 Mk2 will provide clean uncompressed 4:2:2 video out via HDMI, but at 8 bit. The Panasonic GH5 will output 10 bit.
If budget is a concern, I'd recommend looking at used gear.

Erich

Return to Getting Started