Thunderbolt 3 and Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Robert Brown

Thunderbolt 3 and Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello, All,
My church has a brand new iMac running ProPresenter. I want to use the Mini Monitor to get SDI and HDMI video to my BMD Switcher and 12x12 router.

The new iMac has only Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connectors and USB A . I got an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable to go from the iMac to the Mini Monitor and downloaded the latest software from BMD.

The BMD software and driver sees the Mini Monitor, but I get no output. I tried several settings and a previous driver, including the one on the SD card. I also tried a different Mini Monitor. Still no success.

Am I missing something? I ended up using 2 USBC to HDMI adapters. Not ideal, but it worked for now.

I think the problem is with the adapter. Does anyone know of an adapter that worked?

Thanks

timmyslices

Re: Thunderbolt 3 and Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:01 am

Robert,
Any update/success on this?

I just unboxed my MiniMonitor with the same setup

(new iMac -> USBc converter/TB-> MiniMonitor -> HDMI->TV)

and here is my status:

-The TV is getting a signal but no video. If i unplug any piece running to the imac the tv says "no signal"

-The software says "No Desktop Video Device Detected"

-If I pull up AVID or Davinci, load footage and nothing display's

Running Desktop Video Setup 10.9.11 and OS 10.13.1

Markus Leodolter

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 am

With apple computers there are often hdcp problems. Cheap chinese hdmi splitter can help.

Robert Brown

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Sorry for the late reply! I finally figured it out.
I got this Thunderbolt 3/USB C to thunderbolt adapter from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cable- ... nderbolt+2

This converts from TB3 to Thunderbolt.

From that I went to the Mini Monitor. It took a while, but I realized the software I was using (ProPresenter) needs and additional $99 module to work with this!

My church plans to get it, but for now, we are using two TB3-HDMI adapters and a BMD HDMI-SDI converter to make it happen. The second TB3-HDMI is for the technician's second monitor.

This functionality for the MiniMonitor is built into BMD's Media Express, and it worked fine with that for me. Other Editing software works without paying for a module download, not so with ProPresenter. It gives video output from the software, so when that software is not running, or if it is minimized, etc, it sends out "Color Black."

I hope this helps others.

**I edited this because I put the wrong link. I've corrected it.

Return to Getting Started