New (to me) Black Magic Camera

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mark Day

New (to me) Black Magic Camera

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Hey guys, I just purchased a Black Magic Cinema Camera. I came to the website and I see it's no longer being offered by BM. Did I just screw up?
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Jack Fairley

Re: New (to me) Black Magic Camera

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 pm

I don't think so. There is not a direct replacement product available - Ursa Mini is much more expensive, and the Micro Cinema Camera requires a lot of extra kit.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Lee Gauthier

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:03 am

If you liked the price-point of the BMDCC, you're fine. Some people like the sensor and the color science in the BMDCC a lot. It can produce a creamy, cinematic image.

theprocamera

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 8:34 pm

I'd definitely echo what Lee said. The BMDCC is the only Black Magic I've owned and it's been a steady part of my arsenal for years.

Kevin
theprocamera.com

franciscal

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm really uncertain to buy a Black Magic Camera since I discovered it isn't produced anylonger. I'm afraid about replacements and spare parts. What if something gets broken?

Ryan Payne

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am

franciscal wrote:Hi everybody,
I'm really uncertain to buy a Black Magic Camera since I discovered it isn't produced anylonger. I'm afraid about replacements and spare parts. What if something gets broken?

unfortunately even with the micro and pocket cameras which are still supported, if anything breaks out of warranty the cost to fix it generally exceeds the price of the unit.

So I'd say inspect well, look for a good price on a unit that's been taken care of and buy at a price knowing that if it's breaks in some way you're most likely going to be buying another to replace it.

that being said the BMCC is a great camera, just look for a price you're willing to pay.

Return to Getting Started