Multichannel HDMI from BMD SDI to HDMI mini converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

HdeGuerre

Multichannel HDMI from BMD SDI to HDMI mini converter

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi,

New to the forum, happy to be here!

So I'm preparing a 4k audio-visual installation with 5.1 sound. Previous installations have been played from a BluRay connected over HDMI to an AV-Receiver, which has worked well, but for different reasons we are now looking at a media player solution instead (data flexibility is one).

We have access to a Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, so we thought we'd stay with the AV-Receiver and just swap the BluRay Player out for the Shuttle 2. The problem is the Shuttle 2 (why I don't know) won't deliver more than stereo over HDMI if I get it right, so the idea is to run the video to the 4k beamer through HDMI, and the sound through an SDI to HDMI converter parallel.
So:
- first of all, will the SDI to HDMI mini converter deliver multichannel audio through its HDMI out port? I can't find any confirmation on this, actually the only tech specs available online are for the Shuttle 1..

- and secondly, do I need the 4k version mini converter if I only want to extract the sound, i.e, can the normal non-4k SDI to HDMI converter still extract multichannel audio through SDI even though the original signal is 4k?

Any other issue that could arise from this setup, or does anyone have a better idea? From what I gather the Shuttle can play 4k60Hz quicktime files, please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Grateful for any input on this, thanks so much so far!!

Cheers, Anders

Return to Getting Started