SDI to HDMI Mini Converter ... how do I stop it clipping?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Andy Mees

SDI to HDMI Mini Converter ... how do I stop it clipping?

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 2:31 am

Hi All

Is anyone aware of a secret config setting that will allow me to view a full range video signal through this box?
At present I can take an HDMI out direct from my I/O card and display a full range (0-255) video signal to my client monitor ... but if I switch to an HD-SDI out from the I/O card and then pass that through the SDI to HDMI Mini Converter then my levels get hard clipped (16-235).

Is there any alternative option for how this is handled? Any alternative firmware version? I've checked the documentation, the dip switches and the Converter Utility but I'm only finding audio options.

Thanks in advance
Andy

DidiKunz

Re: SDI to HDMI Mini Converter ... how do I stop it clipping

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am

Legal video is between 16-235 and not 0-255. That is correct, the SDI is in that range.

Andy Mees

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks D.,

I appreciate your reply but I think you might have misunderstood my question.

I'm simply asking if it's possible to stop the Mini Converter from clipping my full range signal. My I/O card can output full range video and my monitor can display full range video, just as my scopes can measure full range video ... but adding the MiniConverter into the monitoring chain causes the levels to be hard clipped, which means I can't actually 'see' whats on my timeline.

Cheers
Andy

DidiKunz

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Andy wrote:I appreciate your reply but I think you might have misunderstood my question.

I'm simply asking if it's possible to stop the Mini Converter from clipping my full range signal. My I/O card can output full range video and my monitor can display full range video, just as my scopes can measure full range video ... but adding the MiniConverter into the monitoring chain causes the levels to be hard clipped, which means I can't actually 'see' whats on my timeline.

I understand what you mean, but in broadcasting there is nothing like "full range video" the legal signal lies between 16 and 235. The range 0 to 255 is for computer screens and the like. If you convert to legal SDI it must be clipped or clamped into 16-235. You will not be able to broadcast "full-range" video, you will get funny effects on air, if you try.

Andy Mees

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks D, I do appreciate your efforts to help ... but its really not helping ;)

I'm not broadcasting the HDMI output of the box, I'm monitoring it ... I'm really not looking for a lesson on broadcast basics which I already understand well. The SDI to HDMI Mini Converter is performing an unwanted clipping of the HD-SDI signal that it is converting ... I'm preferably looking for input from a Blackmagic Design rep as to whether there is any way to configure their unit not to clip in this fashion.

To put it more clearly, the input signal is not clipped, the output signal is clipped, hence the converter is clipping the signal. If possible I'd prefer it not to ... this is nothing to do with broadcast legal (I have an EyeHeight LegalEyes unit to legalise my SDI output if and when needed).

Andy Mees
http://my.linkedin.com/in/andymees

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Andy. I don't think you are open to accepting the response already provided. The converter only allows for "legal" video range on its input. End of story. You have to configure whatever you are outputting to present the video already formatted so that it is already mapped in to the correct legal format. Some video cards have that option.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

DidiKunz

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Andy,

sorry, but there are a lot of thouse funny young computer guys around, that don't have any idea about broadcasting standards at all ;) I could not know that you are also an old analog tech as I am... :D

So you probably better write to support, than in the forums to get this fixed.

Regards Didi

Andy Mees

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Cheers Liam

It wasn't that I'm not open to accepting Didi's response at all, I just wasn't looking for a lesson in what is and isn't legal ;-)

Your response states clearly that your understanding is that this unit is not capable of handling input video outside the legal range (other than to clip it) ... "only allows for legal video range on its input. End of story." ... and that's actually helpful in as much as it tells me the box is simply not capable of doing what I need it do do (which is not mess with my levels!). Fwiw, I spoke with my calibrator on Sunday and he noted that AJA's box does the same thing ... he did suggest an alternative unit that will handle a full range signal without clipping tho, I'll have to chase up with him to provide me those details (and post back if you're interested). I was simply hoping to find that there might be an alternative firmware available for this Mini Converter unit that would bypass the legal range only limitation.

Thanks again Didi and Liam, your input was much appreciated.
Andy

Tim Haigh

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

My guess is that what you want is not possible, or to put it another way Blackmagic will not do it. The reason is very simple, if they add a setting that could result in broadcast illegal output then they will have to sped support resources to help those people or even worse have people slam their products in reviews when they simply don't know that the settings are wrong for what most of users need. They already have enough of that going on they will not want to add more. Simply put they would rather tell 2 or 3 people that they will need a different product then have 200 or 300 unhappy customers with improper settings.
Freelance A/V Engineer
Always Available for Hire

Andy Mees

PostFri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Quick update:

Just wanted recognise the fantastic support of the BMD development team who have very kindly added the option to disable clamping via their Converter Utility software. I just had occasion to install another BMD SDI to HDMI Mini Converter over here, downloaded and installed the latest Converter Utility software (3.0.2 at time of writing) and so discovered the new checkbox option ("Clamp Video output to legal levels"). And disabling that does indeed turn off the clamping.

It's working perfectly (for me) now. So a big thank you for listening BMD, you guys are the best.

Regards
Andy

Scott Smith

PostSat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Cool. Good to know. Also interesting to hear BMD tech support get some positive feedback. I don't see that very often.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Morgan Morel

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 pm

I'm having a similar issue wth the Analog to SDI Mini Converter. The checkbox for "Clamp Video output to legal levels" is checked, but greyed out in the Converter Utility software. Is there any possibility of getting this options for the Analog to SDI Mini Converter in a future software revision? I work in the archival/preservation trade and can think of a number of people that would benefit from this revision. Thanks!
✌ ✌ ✌

RayThornback

PostMon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 am

Bumping an old thread, we've updated to the latest software for one of our Analog to SDI mini converters and the option to allow full range has been removed. Can it be reinstated?

Return to Getting Started