Video Assist and Pocket Cinema Camera?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

lupacexi

Video Assist and Pocket Cinema Camera?

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:47 am

Hi,

New here, so thanks in advance for any help or advice.
I'd like to use the 5-inch Video Assist with the Pocket Cinema Camera, but I couldn't find any references to anyone using them together. I'm assuming they work great as a pair?
Anyone using them that could comment on any issues or workflow tips with the two would be appreciated!
Cheers

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist and Pocket Cinema Camera?

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 pm

If you want or need a backup recording on the Pocket, then yes, the VA5-inch pairs nicely, and works well.
That said, if you do not need the recorder in the VA, the SmallHD Focus offers an excellent small (5-inch) Monitor that is thinner and lighter, with more exposure and focus aids, than the VA.

But yes, the VA works with the Pocket camera, and is a much better monitor that is easier to use than the small screen on the back of the Pocket camera. I got a VA for my Pocket camera when it first came out, and later used it with the Micro Camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Echoing what Denny said. I just got a Video Assist for my BMPCC earlier this week, and while it's a great monitor in retrospect I might have been happier with the SmallHD unit. The Video Assist is quite heavy with the batteries attached; I do like that it serves as a backup, but it's not super-necessary. I'm using a larger-capacity SD card (256 gig) in the VA, and smaller-capacity cards (64 gigs) in the camera, with the idea that I'm not putting all my recording eggs in one basket.

If you're mounting the VA on top of the pocket camera, you're probably best off getting a cage (I bought one of the SmallRig cages, which is excellent, along with their cold-shoe adapter, which allows you to mount the VA onto the cage.

One important thing to note: the micro-HDMI port on the BMPCC is notoriously fragile, which is another good reason to get a cage like the SmallRig that has screws to hold your HDMI cable in place. You don't want to break it off.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm

The Wooden Camera Pocket cage is another excellent cage, with outstanding support for both the HDMI and Power connections. The WC cage also has the advantage of being able to secure a Spoed Booster to the cage.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bitmann

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Denny Smith wrote:If you want or need a backup recording on the Pocket, then yes, the VA5-inch pairs nicely, and works well.
That said, if you do not need the recorder in the VA, the SmallHD Focus offers an excellent small (5-inch) Monitor that is thinner and lighter, with more exposure and focus aids, than the VA.

But yes, the VA works with the Pocket camera, and is a much better monitor that is easier to use than the small screen on the back of the Pocket camera. I got a VA for my Pocket camera when it first came out, and later used it with the Micro Camera.
Cheers

Hello Denny!
Can the BMD Video Assist be calibrated like the Atomos Ninja Blade? Atomos advertises the Ninja Blade as a “Director Quality Monitor” that can be calibrated with the optional Spyder. I know the Video Assist is higher resolution than the Ninja Blade, but Is the screen also an IPS?

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 pm

The VA is a full HD resolution screen, but not sure if it is a IPS. I do know, you can not do,or correct the VA to calibrate it, as it is not a reference monitor. You can set color saturation, and contrast, but not “hue”.
I just turned off color (slide down saturation control) and used it a s aB&W shooting monitor, monochrome is better for judging exposure anyway, and getting rid of the distractions from color, helps when shooting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started