Underwater Camera setup

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ROV Innovations

Underwater Camera setup

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:44 am

Hello Everyone,

We are an ROV (remote operated underwater vehicle) company in Australia and would like to add one of the 4K micro studio cameras in an underwater housing to our ROV.

Ideally we would like to have 300m of cable connecting the ROV and camera to the surface (this is the current tether length of the ROV)

What would we need to have as the setup to control the camera on the ROV from the surface and record to an UHD recording device on the surface?

I assume that this length of cable would need to be Fibre, with a converter at each end? With this setup will we have full camera control remotely?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael Porritt
Director
ROV Innovations
www.rovinnovations.com
www.underwaterinspections.com.au

Andrew Martin

Re: Underwater Camera setup

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 11:03 am

Prob. A couple of these, one at each end of the fibre line.

Plug the camera in at the remote end ( bottom side), and the recorder / monitor / or video assist 4k / atomos recorder topside.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-CONM-12

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... ideoassist

https://www.atomos.com/shogun-flame

A.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Andrew is right.. Only way is to do Fiber. And you want UHD. So you need the 6G fiber converters..

You will need to have an Atem or Shading panel based on a SDI shield on the Topside to control the camera.

The control protocol runs on the SDI video return channel to the camera. So both SDI connections of the Micro Studio cam need to be connected for control to happen.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

StaplesVR

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 am

Hi Michael,

The information here is correct.

We have just done a project with an underwater housing controlling the camera off a laptop connected to an ATEM mixer.

For your length you will need fiber. We tested successfully up to 100M of 6G SDI for video and control
On the upside your cable will be nice and light weight.

I would be happy to share some of the details and our findings on this project.

ROV Innovations

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, that setup seems pretty easy to achieve. I will probably need some clarification on the controlling of the cameras functions remotely as this is not something that we have had experience with previously...

Out on a project at the moment and replying on my phone so once I get back I will properly digest everything and will probably have a few more questions

Would love to have a look at the setups you guys have used and the results you have achieved if you don’t mind sharing... pm me if preferable and I can send through my email address...

Cheers and thanks again!
Michael Porritt
Director
ROV Innovations
www.rovinnovations.com
www.underwaterinspections.com.au

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Do you need shading control? Or just remote control of certain features?

Wired S.Bus is another option if you don’t need shading and allows you to avoid using the ATEM panel on the other end.

We have users with systems going up to 1000m underwater via a combination of fiber and S.Bus controls.

Return to Getting Started