Using Intensity Pro 4K for digitalizing of analog videos

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Orikson

Using Intensity Pro 4K for digitalizing of analog videos

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello everybody,

I want to record my old Video8 family videos and came up with the Intensity Pro 4K or the Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0. To achieve the best quality, I want to record the upscalled image, which should be possible with the mentioned products. The Intensity Pro 4K features a Time Base Corrector, which is very important when recording tape recorded videos.

But one question I have is, if it is possible to connect a S-Video signal to the Intensity Pro 4K. I only found the analog cable to connect it with YUV-Signals, even though it says that you can connect S-Video signals. So is this possible or should I better use the Intensity Shuttle, which does not have the Time Base Corrector an might have problems with the analog tapes.

Anyone who already has done something similar and can share his experience?

Scott Smith

Re: Using Intensity Pro 4K for digitalizing of analog videos

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 am

S-video is a form of component video, where the luminance and chrominance are the two components. It should record S-Video just fine. You will need an adapter cable that goes from whatever connector is on your camera or deck to two RCA type connectors. The software should let you select S-Video, and will expect it on the two correct of the three component connectors. Not sure which two, luminance is most likely on green, coin flip on chrominance.

It has been quite a while since I have used one of this class of product, but it ought to handle it fine.

I believe the Intensity Pro has a frame sync on the input, but does not have a TBC. They are slightly different types of processing, but either should help you out.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Getting Started