Mini HDMI to SDI converter is not working with Raspberry pi

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

sagar143

Mini HDMI to SDI converter is not working with Raspberry pi

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I am using raspberry pi 3 which is feeding to Mini HDMI to SDI converter then its output is given to SDI display, but as i have tried i am not getting any output on the display. Please give any useful solution. Thank you

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: Mini HDMI to SDI converter is not working with Raspberry

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

what resolution do U use on RPI ?
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Ian Morrish

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:what resolution do U use on RPI ?
You need to force the RPi to use a specific resolution and frame rate in the /boot/config.txt file

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

sagar143

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 am

I am using 720p, i have also tried configuring the rpi for different display resolutions and configuring it but still not working. Please help

ttcole1254

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 3:48 am

Fyi from my testing, the Raspberry Pi 3 doesn't show an image on my ATEM 1 M/E no matter the HDMI config settings, but the Pi 2 works stock. I was able to get the Pi 3 working when I sent the video through an HDMI to SDI converter though. Assuming the HDMI chips Blackmagic is using on their products are a little picky on the signal being just right, and the Pi 3 no longer works without an additional converter. The Pi 3 worked stock with the converter, but I did change the config settings anyway to be as correct as possible. Edit /boot/config.txt and add the following at the end:

hdmi_mode=5
hdmi_pixel_encoding=3
disable_overscan=1
Save and reboot.

Also to fix the screen going black after being unattended if you haven't already, edit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart and add the following to the bottom:

@xset s off
@xset -dpms
Save and reboot.

tibolala

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 8:43 am

Hi everybody,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 Modèle B+ and one mini HDMI TO SDI blackmagic but I m not able to have image on my screen with it.
when I am on tv directly with HDMI it's working but with hdmi to sdi on an other screen it does'nt work.
Can you help me please ?
Maybe with a good config.txt
Best regards

Greg_E

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm guessing this is all about HDCP, all of my BMD converters go to blank (no signal) when I feed a signal that has HDCP on it.

There are workarounds to this but please note that this can be used for illegal activities. I assume we are all professionals here and know when we can and can not break the rules for our specific use cases. Unless otherwise noted, you can assume that all BMD devices will block the signal if they detect copy protection on that signal. Yes it sucks, but it keeps them from having to defend themselves in court and maybe having the products removed from sale in many countries. I know the original Video Assist (5 inch) blocks HDMI if there is copy protection present, as does all of our HDMI to SDI converters (original versions).

Now all that said, I have a Pi3b but have not tried to connect it to any of my BMD devices. I guess I better give it a try and see what is happening before I find a real need for it and get stopped in my tracks.

One specific use case I will site:

Playing back commercially produced DVD/Bluray that has been licensed for public performance as part of a film festival with projectors that are either too far away or otherwise only on SDI inputs.

Moderators, please note my bolded statement before you delete or edit this post. Thank you for this consideration, if you still feel it needs to be changed, please remove the offending portions or notify me so that I may edit the offending portions out. Please do not just delete the entire post.

Return to Getting Started