Dropped frames after just a few minutes of filming?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stuart Patrello

Dropped frames after just a few minutes of filming?

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi,

I'm using the right kind of SSD (Sandisk Extreme, 480 GB) on a BMCC and I always get the flashing red exclamation in the upper left corner after maybe five to ten minute of filming. Sometimes the camera will then freeze up or won't save the footage. I've tried a few different types of SSD cards as well and got the same problem with each. Any solution?

Thanks.

HansSpoor

Re: Dropped frames after just a few minutes of filming?

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Use Blackmagic Disk Speed Test to accurately measure whether your SSD will be able to handle the capture. Are you using "Sandisk Extreme 480 GB (SDSSDX-480G-G25)" - these SSDs work ONLY for compressed video capture - you have not mentioned what format you are using ...

Stuart Patrello

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm using the regular Sandisk Extreme 480 GB (SDSSDX-480G) no 'G25' on the end. I have tried every possible filming format in the settings and I still get this flashing red exclamation point.

Ryan Humphrey

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Have you run the sped test on it to get the performance numbers?

Also, where did you get it? If it was a eBay 'deal' or similar third party / grey market source there's a decent chance it's a fraud. Same problem with lots of the cheap 'deals' you see on high end SD cards where they are counterfeit fakes.

So speed test to benchmark the drive and see what it says. Also try a utility that will check for counterfeit drives by writing it to full capacity then reading it back to make sure it matches reported size and specs.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Apparently if you suspect a counterfeit device, you can enter the serial number on Sandisk’s web site and they’ll confirm if it’s legitimate. I believe it was Sandisk way back that made some firmware updates which caused problems on BMD cameras so there’s a chance that card needs a recent firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography