Blackmagic Video Assist device shutting off, not powering on

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ellsworth007

Blackmagic Video Assist device shutting off, not powering on

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi all,

My department just purchased a brand new Blackmagic Video Assist device for the purpose of screen capture , as the software solution we use to record the computer screen has been known to crash sometimes. I have the video going into the device via HDMI. At first everything seemed great, but when I started my first recording the screen turned black after a few minutes and I could not get the device to power back on. I left it alone for a few days and came back to it today- I still could not get it to power on. I tried plugging it in to different outlets, inputting different HDMI sources, etc. Finally it did power on, and shut back off. I got it to turn on again, and I started a test record- it powered off after 5 seconds. When I got it turned on again, I found that the recording had stopped. I started another recording and this time it lasted for a whole minute before shutting down, and once again I can't get it to turn on again.

All I can figure is:

1) Defective unit?
2) Defective power supply?
3) BMVA doesn't like computer inputs via HDMI?
4) Or, the video device goes black while it's recording and there's some other way to wake it up other than pressing on the power button??

Please help guys, my boss is counting on me to figure this out. Thank you!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist device shutting off, not powerin

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:46 pm

We'd suggest trying a different HDMI source (say from a camera) and cables to see if the issue persists. If so, I'd suggest reaching out to the support office in your region and see what further troubleshooting they can assist with before potentially setting up a RMA for the product.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Getting Started