UltraStudio Mini Recorder not detected by Ubuntu 16.04

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

aferriss

UltraStudio Mini Recorder not detected by Ubuntu 16.04

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Hi There,

I have a Ultrastudio Mini Recorder that I am trying to get working on a linux machine running Ubuntu 16.04. I downloaded Desktop Video 10.9.12 and installed the libraries as the README indicated with dpkg. Install went fine, and no additional dependencies were needed and so I rebooted and hooked everything up. However, when I launch BlackMagicDesktopVideoSetup, it tells me "No Desktop Video Device Detected". I'm using a thunderbolt to displayport adapter, and my GPU is a NVIDIA Titan X.

If I run dkms status, it shows
Code: Select all
bbswitch, 0.8, 4.13.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
bbswitch, 0.8, 4.13.0-39-generic, x86_64: installed
blackmagic, 10.9.12a3, 4.13.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
blackmagic-io, 10.9.12a3, 4.13.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia-390, 390.30, 4.13.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia-390, 390.30, 4.13.0-39-generic, x86_64: installed

I know the BM machine works, because I've tried it with my Mac laptop. I know the wires work, because I've tried them with other devices.

The readme mentions something about the kernel needing to be rescanned on older versions (which I tried), but my kernel is a newer 4.13.0-39-generic anyway.

I spoke with tech support today and they just told me to double check that my machine was supported (it is according to the tech requirements page) as well as to check if the machine works on another OS (it does), and to check all my wires (I did).

I'm wondering if this piece of hardware is not supported on Linux. I asked the tech person this question, and they said that as long as I could install Desktop Video, that any piece of hardware would work. Is this true? Their only other suggestion was to try installing a different version of Ubuntu, but I'd really prefer not to do that if at all possible, especially since I don't know if that will actually solve the problem.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions to get my machine to see the recorder box?

Edit: I'm actually thinking the problem might be caused by the adapter I'm using that goes from Thunderbolt to Displayport. Does any such adapter exist that works? I could also do Thunderbolt to HDMI but searching online it seems hard to find such a device -- not even sure that kind of cable makes sense. Any solutions for GPU's without thunderbolt ports?

vincib

[Fixed?] UltraStudio Mini Recorder not detected by Ubuntu 16

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi,
I tried to install an UltraStudio Mini Recorder under Debian GNU/Linux version Stretch and had the same issue :

- I have a Thunderbolt3 with female USBC connector on a Intel NUC
- then a TB3 > TB2 adapter from Apple
- then a TB2 cable to the UltraStudio

When I plug the device, my debian (kernel 4.18 + desktop video 10.11.4a9 ) recognized something on the PCI bus, but does not enable it.

I found a package, named thunderbolt-tools, that allow you to enumerate the devices AND to authorize them on the PCI Bus ... (apparently that has to be authorized...)

I used this :

# tbtadm devices
0-1   Blackmagic Design   UltraStudio Mini Recorder   (not authorized)

then this :
#tbtadm approve 0-1

Now I have
# tbtadm devices
0-1   Blackmagic Design   UltraStudio Mini Recorder   authorized   in ACL

And the devices is recognized by the Blackmagic device driver in the kernel, and bmdtools command line "bmdcapture" works like a charm as it used to be with PCIe Decklink Recorders :)

Thanks BMD !

Return to Getting Started