Issues with Video Assist HD and Imac Pro

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Bayley

Issues with Video Assist HD and Imac Pro

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi fellow BM-users!
I own a Video Assist HD 5" which is just lovely with my video camera. I also use this device connected with HDMI to my computer to record output of live generative digital graphics, VJ-sets etc. Been using this with my macbook pro with no issues whatsoever, sweet deal!

But when upgrading my setup to a shining fast Imac Pro the combination Imac Pro (OSX 10.13.4) -> Deltaco USB-C->HDMI adapter -> HDMI-cable -> Video Assist is not working. OSX is recognizing the correct EDID, but the image flashes between intervals of 2sec image and 8sec blackout. Whatever the source material, even the desktop background, in all resolutions and in both extended and mirrored.

Been working an hour with apple support, resetting the nvram, turning off programs, discarding old extensions, settings and what not, we tried everything and only last resorts with a total re-install is left, and I don´t really see why that would make any difference, the OSX-install is almost brand new already. When rebooting into safe-mode the Video Assist works as it should, but only then. I have tried connecting thru Kramer PT-1C to get rid of any HDCP-conflict, did not make any difference. I have connected via a HDMI-switcher, Kramer VM-22H with EDID-lock, then the monitor worked as it should.

USB-C->HDMI adapter, HDMI-cables, Imac Pro, Video Assist; all works with different sources, monitors, etc. so they work, just not in this combination.

All ideas and help are most appreciated!

Denny Smith

Re: Issues with Video Assist HD and Imac Pro

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Try updating the VA to the latest FW, may be a new Mac OS issue not being compatible with your old setup.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bayley

Re: Issues with Video Assist HD and Imac Pro

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks for the idea but it already has FW 2.5 which is latest for the HD-version.

Return to Getting Started