BMPCC problems (memory card?)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mashhh

BMPCC problems (memory card?)

PostSun May 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Hello!
I purchased a BMPCC (first model) used. The firmware is updated.
I was recording a video clip for a musician and I had these problems:
1. By recording in raw, the bmpcc divided the clip into multiple clips. By recording in prores hq I had the exclamation mark symbol: dropped frames.
I could register only in prores 422.
2. From time to time, even if the battery was charged, the camera turned itself off. When I registered in prores 422 it remained on and I could make my shots.
I used the following memory cards:
* Sandisk Extreme Pro, SD, 64GB SDXC UHS-I class 10
* Sandisk Extreme SDHC 32gb class 10

I hope someone can help me, thank you!

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC problems (memory card?)

PostWed May 16, 2018 3:32 am

Use the BM speed check software to check the actual write speed of your SD cards. Sounds like you may have a bad or counterfeit card. Where did yiu get your cards from?

While the 32GB card is on the approved list, I could never get mine to work correctly. But the 64GB Extremem Pro 95mbs card should work with ProRes HQ.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Engdahl

Re: BMPCC problems (memory card?)

PostMon May 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Mashhh wrote:Hello!
I purchased a BMPCC (first model) used. The firmware is updated.
I was recording a video clip for a musician and I had these problems:
1. By recording in raw, the bmpcc divided the clip into multiple clips. By recording in prores hq I had the exclamation mark symbol: dropped frames.
I could register only in prores 422.
2. From time to time, even if the battery was charged, the camera turned itself off. When I registered in prores 422 it remained on and I could make my shots.
I used the following memory cards:
* Sandisk Extreme Pro, SD, 64GB SDXC UHS-I class 10
* Sandisk Extreme SDHC 32gb class 10

I hope someone can help me, thank you!

1. RAW records single frame DNG's when you open up your DNG in your NLE it will put them back together into a single clip. They're all stored together in one folder on your card. About the dropped frames, that is like said earlier, because your SD card can't write as fast as it needs too. So check with BM Speed Test.

2. I have the problem of camera turning itself off when it's cold outside, the battery just drains too quickly. Buy new batteries. When shooting RAW, the camera obviously drains more power than during prores.

Return to Getting Started