Vendor Nightmare!!

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ever Rose

Vendor Nightmare!!

PostTue May 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Dear Blackmagic,

My name is Christia Fornasier. My partner and I are new owners of several Blackmagic products and we felt we were right in choosing Blackmagic as our primary source for equipment and software for our current film project. We have familiarized ourselves with Davinci and Fusion, selected a Blackmagic video assist, and invested a sizable amount of money into accessorizing and completing a full package centered around the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera.

With the budget of the film project, and the two low/no-budget producers believing it would be shot with DSLRs in the beginning, we were ecstatic to learn we could achieve the cinematic dynamic range in micro four thirds for less than what was originally expected.

Unfortunately, though we are happy with everything else and continue to be surprised by the ability of this tiny camera , it has been a nightmare to receive an undamaged or unblemished version of the Micro Cinema Camera. As of today, we have ordered 4 units, and all have come damaged. Two came from B&H, and once we were fed up with them, we received the subsequent 2 from Adorama. The ones from B&H came with damaged record buttons, and were rendered useless in their ability to record RAW, which is one of many reasons we chose the camera. The 2 from Adorama have come with damaged or blemished sensors. I have attempted to clean the glass in front of the sensor with a standard air-squeeze bulb, but have been worried in any attempt to dismantle the glass and clean beneath it or assess the sensor itself for damage, especially since these are supposed to be new cameras.

I am beside myself in our incredible bad luck in attaining this camera in an undamaged state. I do not feel like sending back a 4th and hoping a 5th will be the charm. I have been lurking on these boards for awhile, and in many ways, it was integral to my decision in choosing Blackmagic. I saw the community it fostered and felt it was for us. I am posting a pic of the 4th camera's sensor and if anyone has advice, or thinks I should attempt to get under the glass with a new camera, I'm listening. Not sure what else to do.

Sincerely,
Christia & Rachel
Attachments
output.jpg
output.jpg (186.82 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

Denny Smith

Re: Vendor Nightmare!!

PostWed May 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Send it back, you need a clean room to remove the sensor glass. I got one of the first Micro Cinema cameras, no issues. This seems very odd, you run of bad lick getting a good camera. Adorama is normally very good about returns of damaged goods. Call the Pro Video csmera department directly, and tell them yiur issues, and see if thy can pre-inspect a Camera before shipping it out. Good luck
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ever Rose

PostThu May 17, 2018 7:18 am

Thank you for responding Denny.

Blackmagic has offered to look at it and repair/replace it if need be since I've had so much trouble with the retailers. Last night I was having thoughts about whether or not we should have gone with the Cinema Camera 2.5k, since a used one is only slightly more expensive than our current setup.

I will be calling Blackmagic back tomorrow to see if the turn around for what they are offering will meet our 22nd of May shooting date.

Christia & Rachel

Denny Smith

PostFri May 18, 2018 5:05 am

Good, turnaround depends on where you are. I am in SF area, so got a very fast turnaround, 5 working days, including one day shipping each direction.

A BM Cinema Camera 2.5K is Rev 1 color science, but still very nice, but the main issue is a slow sensor readout time, so Rolling Shutter artifacts are more obvious, as is higher IR pollution (an IR Cut filter is a must with this camera), and the MFT mount is passive (no electronic connection) so you can not use native Panna or Oly MFT lenses. I would stick with the Micro Cinema camera, which has a much faster sensor readout time, with less RS artifacts and less moire’. Plus you get 1080p60 for slow motion shots.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ever Rose

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Again, Denny, thank you.

We will be sticking with the micro and accept Blackmagic's offer to service it. We were tilting towards sticking with it and your generous review and breakdown sealed the deal. Thank you again. We will hopefully be able to post some shots of the film after our first week of filming.

Grateful,
Christia & Rachel

Denny Smith

PostFri May 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Good, looking forward to seeing your project. I sold my Pocket Cimena Camera to get the Micro Cameras, I have both the Micro Cinema and Micro Studio Camera, both are great, and a step up from the early BM cameras.

I like the compact setup with the Micros, and will be adding the new BM Pocket Camera 4K or the Ursa Broadcast to the inventory, currently leaning towards the new Pocket, but waiting until it comes out. Meanwhile the Micros are doing what I need for my current production requirements, and I may just add a second Micro Stuido for out Live to tape shows to get a three camera live switching setup.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started