Blackmagic VideoAssist 5" Calibration

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

amaurygiraud

Blackmagic VideoAssist 5" Calibration

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 1:13 pm

je me permets de poster car je possède un moniteur BMVA 5" j'en suis assez content mais je voulais savoir comment vous procédez pour le calibrer, car il n'y a pas de mire interne ni "blue only" et je l'utilise sur des caméras ou APN qui ne génère pas de mire de barres.
merci

I allow myself to post because I have a monitor BMVA 5 "I'm pretty happy but I wanted to know how you proceed to calibrate, because there is no internal test and" blue only "and I use it on cameras or DSLR that do not generate a color barres.

thank

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic VideoAssist 5" Calibration

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 4:46 pm

There is no way to calibrate the Vdieo Assist, it does not have a blue only setting, nor can you control the display hue. This has been an issue since the VA was first released. That said, the VA is not a color reference monitor, but rather field monitor/recorder that can be used for framing a shot and recording. Any changes in lighting conditions around the monitor would require a re-calibration also, which most users would not do anyway.

It is not intended to be used for setting color balance, or exposure, but does have exposure tools like zebras, and false color. To correctly set your camera for white balance (color balance) and check exposure, you need a Wave Form monitor display and a Vector Scope for best accuracy. I just turned down the color,saturation slider on my VA and use it in monochrom (B&W) mode, which is how most ENG csmera EVFs are set. Thismwaynitmis eaiser to see Focus Assist and judge overall exposure, and use Zebras to check for clipping and set an average exposure. This was before false color was added, which is a better exposure tool, and the color display does not need to be calibrated to use it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

amaurygiraud

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm

bonjour,
merci pour votre réponse,
alors à quoi servent les réglage de contraste, saturation et de luminosité ?
car je pensais que c’était pour talonner l’écran ?
je trouve étrange qu'il y est aussi une intégration de LUTs et de ne pas pouvoir régler l'affichage pour avoir un rendu réaliste des couleurs avec les LUTs...
merci

Hello,
thank you for your reply,
so what are the contrast, saturation and brightness settings for?
because I thought it was to follow the screen?
I find it strange that there is also an integration of LUTs and not being able to adjust the display to have a realistic rendering of colors with LUTs ...
thank you

Denny Smith

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 4:37 pm

You can use the C trash, Brightness and Saturstion to get a basic set up, you can display some color bars (I use a Atomos Connect adapter that has a color bar display, or a csmera with color bar display also works, to set the monitor for the A.M. by lighting conditions to get close to a correct looking monitor, but to get a true calibration, you need a Hue control, which the VA lacks to get s true color calibration.

You can do a search in setting up a monitor using color bars to get an average, fairly accurate display as far as contrast and brightness goes, to help judge exposure. But like I previously said, the VA is not a reference monitor, but rather a display you can use to compose a shot, and display exposure tools to setup the camera. LUTS are there to take a Log display from Film Log or Raw output and get a close Rec 709 or graded look to the display. You can use LUTs to fine tune the display color display and reduce the “green tint” look also.

Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

amaurygiraud

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 am

hello,
thank for your reply and help

Return to Getting Started