External or internal drive

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

photoleary

External or internal drive

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi.

So I wanted to get people's thought on what is better.

I currently run three external hard drives. 1st is my current year of work [stills, accounts, exhibitions et al]. 2nd is a raid drive that is my archived work.

Now my 3rd drive is going to be all my film work. It use to be in my two other drives but as I've moved from Premiere to Resolve it seemed to make more sense. I use to zip off the Premiere file with all the video and Audi files into a project folder.

I'm now thinking of having all my video and audio clips in project specific folders and then one more folder for Davinci.

So,

External drive - Resolve > Database > ...
Project A > Video files
> Audio files
Project B > Video files
> Audio files
Project C > Video files
> Audio files

I don't plan on plugging the external drive into other computers. If I need to edit a film whilst on location I will export it and edit it on my laptop and them import it back into my main catalogue.

Is there any reason why this is not a good practice?

Thanks.

Mark

photoleary

Re: External or internal drive

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:48 pm

So my map of the drive doesn't work as they took out my spaces

So -

You have the first layer on the external drive which is four folders - Resolve, Project A, Project B & Project C. The next layer is then specific to each folder. Resolve will have my database, cache and stills gallery folder, Projects A,B & C will have an audio and a video folder that the relevant fooftage is kept in.

I hope that's all clear.

Return to Getting Started