How to configure UltraStudio Mini Recorder???

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

bswersey

How to configure UltraStudio Mini Recorder???

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 am

I have an UltraStudio Mini Recorder, trying to connect with my MacBook Pro in order to capture video from a Toshiba VHS VCR (consumer model with HDMI output).

It seems that the device is recognized, though sometimes Desktop Video Setup shows "Video Input HDMI" and occasionally "Video Input HDMI 1080p30"

However, on Media Express all I see is a black screen, never see any video coming in that I can capture. I've tried different project video formats, but any others than 1080p30 show a red warning in lower left corner of the screen.

Updated software and firmware today. Also tried more than one firewire cable.

All I'm trying to do is convert a few old VHS tapes. This really should be simple!

Here's what I got when I ran report:

Blackmagic Design System Report
Desktop Video 10.11
UltraStudio Mini Recorder
Video Input
HDMI
-
Video Options
Capture 1080p as PsF

Enabled

Device Interface
Thunderbolt

System Configuration
Machine Name
bills-mbp.fios-router.home

Operating System
OS X 10.13.5

Physical Memory
17179 MiB

Physical Processors

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: How to configure UltraStudio Mini Recorder???

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm

It could very well be that either there is HDCP on the output of the VCR and thus you aren't seeing an image in the preview window or you have a format being ingested to the device that is not supported?
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

bswersey

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:It could very well be that either there is HDCP on the output of the VCR and thus you aren't seeing an image in the preview window or you have a format being ingested to the device that is not supported?

What is HDCP, copy protection? The tapes I've tried in the VCR were all tapes I made myself, not commercial. How to tell? The signal from the HDMI works just fine when plugged into my TV.

or you have a format being ingested to the device that is not supported?

How do we figure this out? Please give me some direction. The source video tape is plain-old NTSC VHS.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 6:37 pm

HDCP output from a media player will work with a TV as it's a broadcast signal where as our products will not accept signals with the copyright protection due to them being recording devices. This is not specified on the content but more so on the device playing the media.

As for the formats accepted by the device, you can find the supported standards for ingest on the tech spec page.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

bswersey

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:HDCP output from a media player will work with a TV as it's a broadcast signal where as our products will not accept signals with the copyright protection due to them being recording devices. This is not specified on the content but more so on the device playing the media.

How does one confirm is a signal is HDCP?

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Only bought, pre recorded material, cable/satellite boxes, or legaly dowloaded material has HDCP, your own recordings not !
HDMI is sensitive.... try, when everything is "running" to unplug and re plug the HDMI plug(s).... HDMI protocol also sends digital device information, which might set things not correctly, otherwise use a analog connection, which everone works for you.
btw. your capture format should be the VHS standard output which is NTSC or PAL with the corresponding frame rate and image mode I or P (interlaced or progressive)
(NTSC 525i/p PAL 625i/p)
in any case your recorded material should be the same as the ones set in the VHS recorder, otherwise the recorder might convert, which could give losses.
btw2 when you have a lcd monitor with on screen display, the osd might tell you what the VHS HDMI is putting out, when you plug it into this monitor at the start, resolution, p/i, frame rate, hope this helps for you.
If the VHS recorder outputs to 1080, (i or p ? your captured material will also include the black spaces !
you should check the settings of the VHS playback settings, which they are, and if you can change them to your preffs.
What is the type name/number of this recorder ? (so i can track the PDF manual, for option to find)

EDIT >
Did some research.....It really comes down to your VHS (playback) recorder settings, because your using the HDMI output... resolution, frame rate, i or p, Aspect Ratio 16:9/4:3 even color space settings, audio mode (DTS, Surround Dolby, sample rate, are important, you should check, or adjust these, so they match, most likely your problem lies there, or you should use the Intensity Shuttle, to capture from the analog outputs, like composite, the S-video or component outputs, (with component output i have yet no positive results, only black and white result, sadly, also for the dvd output)

update: yes, it works now, had to switch to progressive, which was interlaced before, the used vhs combo recorder is the Panasonic DMR-ES35V.

btw. does your model VHS have a DV output ? (some Toshiba models have) this would also be an option if all fails, DV would connect to a Firewire interface.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started