HyperDeck/FCPX/YUV issues

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

eddiecjh

HyperDeck/FCPX/YUV issues

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 3:56 pm

So I've just requisitioned a new Hyperdeck Studio Pro for the Center For Jewish History here in NYC. I've been buying and installing some cabling, etc that I needed to hook it up and I have two main issues:

a) Because I have older standard definition PTZ cameras installed in our auditorium, and a DataVideo SE-500 video switcher for them, I have a converter cable that does not appear to be transmitting the 'green' channel to the HyperDecks. I have a feeling this has something to do with 'RGB' and 'YUV.' The DataVideo is outputting RGB and the HyperDeck only sees YUV? Is there a converter or scaler I can get to resolve this- or a setting on the HyperDeck that I'm missing?

b) When I hook up the HyperDeck to my iMac, it neither sees it as an input device or mounts the SSD drives for import of media. I was hoping that I could record events to the SSD drives and simultaneously log and capture to FCPX. Is this possible? Why won't me iMac see the Hyperdeck over Thunderbolt?

***Update: So I've resolved both of these issues. The DataVideo switcher has a not so obvious procedure for changing the output format, so I was able to set that to YUV and now the HyperDeck is ingesting the YUV video as it is designed to.

I did not realize that BlackMagic did not support direct control over the HyperDeck with FCP- so when I use Blackmagic's own Media Express utility, I am able to capture video to my Mac at the same time as recording to SSD (for security and redundancy)

Thanks to DataVideo and the support team at BlackMagic for the help.

Return to Getting Started