Connect a cable box to an iMac computer

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

srichmond

Connect a cable box to an iMac computer

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 7:53 pm

I wish to connect a cable box with an HDMI output to an Apple iMac 27" computer so that the TV images and sound can be seen and heard on the iMac computer. The Apple iMac 27" computer has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2). Is there a Blackmagic product that can do this?

Also can I connect a cable box with an HDMI output to a Windows PC using a Thundebolt 3, a USB 3.0 or a USB Type A connection so that the TV images and sound can be seen and heard on the Windows PC. Is there a Blackmagic product that can do this?

Stephen Richmond

cbastian

Re: Connect a cable box to an iMac computer

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 am

Were you able to figure this out? I have an HDMI cable running from a Verizon FIOS box to my UltraStudio Mini Recorder, which is then connected via Thunderbolt to my iMac. I don't pick up a signal using either their software of Quicktime. (nb - I've been able to connect via coaxial cable and an Elgato device).

Jack Fairley

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 pm

Cable box will have HDCP on the output, so this won't work.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm

only when you have RGB in and out on any device, you are fine, they never put protection on that.
Elswhere in this forum i also read that putting a TBC between the source could strip out the protection, although i believe this is mostly when Macrovision is in play, and you might loose sound in this case, which you should connect from another output, you might get also a lipp sync problem from this, which you should be able to correct, if there's an option for this.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started