Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt & Mac

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Koxii

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt & Mac

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 12:18 am

Hi guys,

I'm having some problems with my Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt.
First of all, neither my iMac nor my MacBook Pro do recognize the device. On rare occasions it does.
I once asked Blackmagic designs why I can't capture videos from my BluRay Player and they told me that most of the Players and Consoles using HDMI have HDCP, which I understood. I know the PS3 has HDCP, so I bought a component cable to connect it to the Intensity Shuttle. I launched Media Express, it did recognize the device, but I could not see an image, not on my mac nor on the TV.
I watched a lot of videos on the Internet on how everything works but I still can't get it to work.
Right now I feel like I spent my money for nothing.

Please help me, I don't know what to do anymore :cry:

Thanks!

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt & Mac

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Yeah, to be clear. NO DVD or BluRay player will allow you to capture HDMI with our board (unless it is very very special). This also goes for the PS3 and the XBox 360 (while it is playing video, dashboard and games are fine).

So component will work.

If you are not seeing video how do you know the it is seeing the device? What method are you using to check.

First think you will want to do is to make sure the Intensity Shuttle shows up in the system preferences. Go to system preferences and choose the Blackmagic Control panel. It should say the name of the device at the top and the options inside should be bright (toggleable). If they are not, the computer is not recognizing the Intensity Shuttle...and we'll need to start there.

Going on the assumption that this is actually okay. You are then gonna want to make sure the input is set right. So you will want to set the input to component (assuming that is what you're using).

Now...that's the hardware side.

When you start media express, it will not autodetect your video. You have to set the resolution to match what is coming off your source.

What is that? If you don't know, we need to start there. Go into your device and look for the display settings. It will tell you what it is outputting. If it is set to 1080p, it means it's outputting at 60p, which is not yet supported. So change your device to output 1080i which will move it to 1080i59.94 (or 60 depending). But remember this, we're gonna use it in Media Express.

Go into Media Express and go to Preferences and set the format resolution to 1080i59.94 (or 60 depending) and set whichever codec and file location you want for capturing. When you close out of this you should be able to select the capture tab in Media Express and check to see if you have video.

A note about Image Constraint Token (ICT) This nasty little protocol basically halves the vertical resolution of an image to 540 lines on analog output. Starting this year all new BluRay players and DVD players with upscaling on them will now have ICT on them which will cause the output of these players to output an odd resolution that we do not support. The good news is from what I can tell the PS3 does not have this and would be a good test bed to check functionality.

Give that a try and let us know.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Jcineav

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello, if I could jump in here...

My mac is not recognizing the Intensity Shuttle. I have a blackmagic design panel in my system preferences but it just brings me to the Desktop Video 9.5.2 settings and everything is greyed out. I've updated everything on my mac, it's an early 2011 macbook pro running OSX Lion 10.7.5. Are there additional drivers or something that I need to get this connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jeremyduncan

PostSat Oct 27, 2012 2:55 am

I am having a similar issue. The Intensity Extreme is recognized by OSX and I can toggle any of the settings in the Preference Panel but all I can see is a black screen when I try to capture from any device. I have matched the resolution and tried an Apple TV, an Xbox, my DSLR and a video Camera.

Any help would be appreciated...

al albert

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 6:08 am

I am having the same issue -

computer won't recognize the shuttle via TBolt

MacBook Pro i7 Mt Lion 10.8.2

I'm bummed.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:A note about Image Constraint Token (ICT) This nasty little protocol basically halves the vertical resolution of an image to 540 lines on analog output. Starting this year all new BluRay players and DVD players with upscaling on them will now have ICT on them which will cause the output of these players to output an odd resolution that we do not support. The good news is from what I can tell the PS3 does not have this and would be a good test bed to check functionality.

sounds like more evil brokenness from hollywood !

awti

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm having the same problem as everyone else on this thread - and to be honest, I'm discouraged to see no resolution on this three-month problem. I'm trying to capture video from my

- Canon Vixia HFM50, to my
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, early 2011, OS 10.7.5), using the
- Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt, and the
- Media Express capture software (ver 3.2, downloaded it right off the website so it's the most recent version).

I've implemented all the suggestions from this thread:
- The Intensity Shuttle is showing up in system preferences, options are toggleable.
- The input is set to HDMI Video & HDMI Audio, since I'm feeding the signal from the the video camera to the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt using an HDMI cable.
- My camera is set to output 1080i 60 frames, so that's what the preference in Media Express is set to.

In spite of all this, I still see a black screen when I click on the Media Express "Log and Capture" tab.

I've been scouring the web for all forums on this topic and have found dead-ends everywhere, with no one saying that they've found a resolution. Is there really no solution here?

claudiopairot

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 pm

My iMac 12,1 mid 2011 won't recognize the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt. In the system preferences, in the blackmagic panel everything is greyed. I have installed the drivers that came inside the box. The same Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt with the same cable works on my matchbook pro 13". I have Lion 10.7.4. What's the problem... please help.

awti

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Good luck getting a response, Claudio... seems this thread has gone dead, at least from Blackmagic's end. From everything I've read online in multiple other forums, Blackmagic is pretty notorious for terrible customer service and I'm not seeing any evidence to the contrary on this forum. (Unvarnished hint to Blackmagic: You can prove that wrong by actually do your job and resolving - not just responding to - this thread...)

I bought the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt from a local (Austin, TX) business that specializes in high-end audio/video production and tried to return it to them but they were going to charge me a $40 re-stocking fee. I got them to agree to troubleshoot the device, I just need to bring it in. Will do that early next week.

If they can figure out the problem, great! They'd be the first ones I've seen to make this work. If they can't, I get the $40 re-stocking fee waived. We'll see which it turns out to be.

claudiopairot

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks awti, I bought main at Amazon. But the weird thing is that the device work Ok on some systems and others don't work at all (the lights inside the shuttle are off). It seems that there isn't electrical current in the shuttle. I already update my efi firmware, clean the system, etc...

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 pm

If the hardware is not detecting on the system, you will first want to ensure you are running the latest driver (downloadable from our website) and also make sure your system has all the latest updates installed. There was a time when an older firmware version on the Mac had spotty results with Thunderbolt devices, but Apple has since released a new firmware update that seems to have resolved the issue.

If the hardware then does not show up in System Preferences -> Blackmagic Design, you will want to check under your System Information -> Thunderbolt -> Port: Status: to confirm if the system is detecting any hardware connected to the Thunderbolt port. If not, there are several additional troubleshooting steps to determine if the issue follows the Blackmagic hardware or is specific to the system. These steps include, swapping out Thunderbolt cables, testing with a different Thunderbolt device, and even testing the hardware on a secondary system. If the issue follows the Blackmagic hardware, you will want to give your nearest Support office a call to discuss next best steps and if any additional troubleshooting steps might be available.

If your hardware does detect on the system and you are able to make changes to its settings in System Preferences, you will want to follow the steps outlined by Joshua earlier in this thread. When setting your video resolution in Media Express, keep in mind that some cameras record internally at one resolution and frame rate but output over their HDMI port at a different rate. Most typically the HDMI output on cameras is 1080i59.94 but may be different for your particular camera. If after following these steps you are still unable to get a picture into the software, if you have any additional video sources to test with this would be ideal, and if you are able to swap out video cables to rule those out as a potential issue, this would be ideal as well. If after testing with multiple sources you are still unable to get signal into the software, you will want to give your nearest Support office a call to discuss next best steps and if any additional troubleshooting steps might be available.

To find contact information for you nearest Support office, please view our website here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company/
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

jason

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Have the same issue here. Tried HDMI and Composite inputs. Changed input selection according to what I needed in system prefs. Tried logging with FCP7 and the Black Magic Media Express but just get a black screen.
Though using composite input I do get brief bursts of video, a couple frames at a time, like a flickering fluorescent light....

Tried brand new TB cable and used a HDMI cable that works fine when feeding to a TV.

What I am trying to do is convert VHS tape to digital file using the Shuttle. I hooked it up with a Composite (RCA) cable. I have all settings set to PAL (since I am in europe)

Please help!

OSX10.8.2
BMV 9.6.9

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Jason,

Can you test with a non-tape source (like a DVD player over composite) to ensure that there is not an issue with the your VHS tape falling out of spec? We have seen issues previously where tape sources stretch over time and fall in and out of spec, which will display either as no video or flickering video. Digital sources aren't plagued by this issue, which makes them great for control testing. If the DVD signal sticks, you may want to look into something like a time base corrector to help keep your VHS tapes in spec.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

lucasahm

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 1:55 am

I was able to get my intensity shuttle to work right away , inputting my Nikon D800. I can capture ProRes 422 easily, accept for one issue. There is a small frame of black around the edge of the clips that I capture. Is there a setting that will allow me to remove this? I didn't see it in preferences. Thanks.

illMackey

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 3:46 am

Ok, this Intensity Extreme just is not working.

I have the latest drivers and software installed. I have used multiple thunderbolt, HDMI, component cables. I have tried different devices. I have unplugged and restarted everything. I have followed the manuel and suggestion to a T; still this device is not being detected. I have bypassed the device with all hardware and ports to confirm with 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% certainly that the issue is the Intensity Extreme.

I have stumped computer engineers with the problem. Im temped to crack open the device to see if there is even components inside. I feel as though I bought a really shiny tin can. Of course, that would void some sort of warranty. Then again, I was force to purchase the product online since the only store close would only sell to companies; so I cannot just take it back to have them troubleshoot it.

I will try the Support Office and hope the hold is not as long as it was when called before purchasing the product. Yes, I did call before purchasing the product. I stated to them exactly what I wanted to do and what I had; I was advised that this product would work. I find it disheartening that a magazine such as Game Informer would advertise such a faulty product.

I suppose if the Support Office is unsuccessful at troubleshooting the issue, then you wouldn't stand behind your product. You probably have some sort of distribution copout and wouldn't refund my money, right? Would I need to contact the online distributor I purchased it from and pay for shipping/restocking fee?

federomano

PostFri May 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Any update on this? i have the same problem, please im desperate

marchofer

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 pm

It seems that almost a year into that issue, the problem hasn't been fixed !?!?!? Wow...

I tried to livestream a 5D Mark III HDMIT signal ( the "clean" one after the latest firmware update ) but no signal arrives in any of the applications ( Media Express, Premiere Pro CS6 or Livestream Procaster ). That is really not a very useful thing then...

Florian Selder

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 am

just problems with this hardware.
Unplugging, replugging and trying again helps to get a connection, but a connection not means that it is working.
i spent more than two days to get the intensity work, once it works with an hdmi input but never with composite or s-video In.

finally a firmware upgrade was recommend and the system hung up.. and now, nothing works, no connection anymore.
definitively this tool is not working on a mac.

Adam Simmons

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 pm

You did change the input settings in the BM control panel and inside Media express for composite and S-Video?
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Florian Selder

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:24 pm

yes :cry:

Thomas Hanhart

PostFri Jul 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Unfortunately I bought this product without previously informing me in depth and critically. Had I known of the massive problems that are logged here dozens times, I'd be around 240.- richer and this cosmetically nice and hence promising thing would not bother me as it does now.

My setup:
iMac (14.2) 27 "3.5GHz, OS X 10.9.4
two MacMini (6.2) 2.6 GHz, both OS X 10.9.4

HDMI Sources and Targes:
Sony NEX VG20 (Euro 25p),
Apple TV,
field monitor

Intensity occurs in System Report panel / Thunderbolt and is stated as working.
The Intensity occurs as device in Media Express, Premiere CC and QT
The BM System Preferences are accessible and not grayed out. Setting is 1080p 25

Whatever I set, plug, replug, reset - the preview stays blank on all my 3 macs.

@ Sarah Jones (BM)
Sarah, if these problems are so common - as we all can see - then you can not simply refer to global support centers with which we should discuss further steps that might be available...
No sorry, here at our media school we want to work specifically with professional, mature products. What should I tell my students now when the topic comes to Blackmagic products, even cameras?

I mean you have to go systematically down to the ground of this frequent problems even when at the end you have to proceed a recall envisage, especially if you can't solve this problems after such a long time via software or firmware updates.

The website advertises a mature, simple Plug&Play solution. It's definitely not as an other employee of BM admitted in another thread. Somehow I feel cheated and I do not like that.

KevinBurke

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Looking for an expedient response, please:

- MacBook Pro w/ up to date drivers
- Thunderbolt Shuttle
- Media Express 3.3.1

Blackmagic Shuttle appears in System Profile>Thunderbolt as connected and recognized by the Mac. However, Blackmagic Design settings in System Preferences are all greyed out and unable to be changed. "No device detected" in Media Express. I would appreciate if someone could get back to me relatively quickly on this as I have a large, live event project upcoming on which my marketing firm has relied on this product.

Thank you,

Kevin Burke

Adam Simmons

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 4:47 pm

You should contact BM tech support if you want a fast response, this is predominantly a user forum and tech support don't come in here often
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Colin Barrett

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:31 am

jason wrote:What I am trying to do is convert VHS tape to digital file using the Shuttle. I hooked it up with a Composite (RCA) cable. I have all settings set to PAL (since I am in europe)

I do hundreds of conversions from analogue tape each month (it's my business) and have an Intensity Shuttle TB in one of my systems. One thing I discovered when I first installed the Shuttle about 20 months ago is that the analogue really needs a rock-solid sync source, so I now pass the playback signals, which might be Composite or YUV Component video, through a high-quality timebase corrector first. This not only writes a new stable black burst & sync but also proc-amps the image properties. I've also had the same issue when capturing from a H.264 Pro Recorder and the same solution works. Both the Shuttle and H.264 Pro work perfectly all the time now. Touch wood!
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Thomas Hanhart

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Meanwhile my Intensity Shuttle TB works with my Sony NEX VG20 but not 1080p 25/50, only 1080i. Perhaps a problem of the Sony.

Adam Simmons

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Well the Shuttle doesn't support 1080p50 which is why that doesn't work, and you might want to check the actual output from the Sony camera as many cameras will still output the higher frame rate no matter what you have it set to in the camera

Aaron Brown

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 10:06 pm

I have recently had the same problem as Florian. I had success getting the BMIS (Black Magic Intensity Shuttle) into my 2013 MBP 15" loaded machine. I could see 1080 59i in Media Express and Wirecast. That was not very easy to get it all to work, but I eventually did. Then, I got a prompt that said something like "IMPORTANT, Intensity Shuttle has a firmware update to keep it functioning properly. Do not turn off your computer during update” or something to that effect. I proceeded, thinking that this update may improve its functionality (of course). After about 5 seconds or so, my computer crashed! Upon restart, BMIS is no longer seen by my computer. It does not show up on the Thunderbolt bus (and it did previously, which I checked during my initial trouble shooting in order to just get the first image into Media Express). Seems like it fried or is now stuck in firmware limbo. Disappointing.

Black Magic Intensity Shuttle
LATE 2013 MACBOOK PRO RETINA, 2.6GHZ INTEL I7, 16GB RAM
OSX 10.9.4 MAVERICKS
DESKTOP VIDEO 10.2.1

Aaron Brown

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 3:16 am

I have had 2 Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt models, and both of them my MBP has asked me to update the firmware. Both times I have clicked "update now" I have had a system freeze/crash, and upon restart, the Shuttle is dead. Black Magic has replaced both models, so I now have a 3rd.

During my tests today, I had more difficulties keeping the connection to the Shuttle, and the image would freeze often in Media Express and even more difficulty in Wirecast. So....

This brings me to my question...I am getting the "Update" dialog constantly during my tests today with the new unit. I am petrified to click "update" for fear of the same result. Is the shuttle supposed to be able to update in this manner? Any recommendations on a different update method?

I did update to desktop video 10.3.2, but I am not sure that will make a difference.

LATE 2013 MACBOOK PRO RETINA, 2.6GHZ INTEL I7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.9.4 MAVERICKS

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm sure as you've spoke with the support team, that you've tried different Thunderbolt cables as well as testing on another system if possible to narrow down the problem. I'm not sure why why this would be the case still but some other questions I would ask are if the unit is properly ventilated and in a temperature regulated environment?

As far as your question about the update options, the device will ask you to update if the software on the computer and the device differ.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Aaron Brown

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 12:22 am

Yes, tried other options, and a new cable. I may try to update it on a different Mac. What is the current FW version number?

Thanks!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 12:51 am

The most current firmware you can find here.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Aaron Brown

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 6:58 am

I may be looking at that page wrong, but I do not see anywhere to find the current Firmware version for the Shuttle Thunderbolt. You can find new software for Desktop video and some other info, but not the FW for the Shuttle (the version number you can find when it is connected and you look under "about this mac" for a system report and see what is connected to the TBolt bus. I can see various info for my Shuttle device with a FW version 5.2 and other info as follows:

Intensity Shuttle TB:

Vendor Name: Blackmagic Design
Device Name: Intensity Shuttle TB
Vendor ID: 0x4
Device ID: 0xA126
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x00040000003A1090
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 5.2
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Port Micro Firmware Version: 0.2.5
Cable Firmware Version: 1.0.16
Cable Serial Number: C4M435300WEF797A8

Adam Simmons

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 9:09 am

When you install the latest drivers it will automatically check the device and update the firmware if needed. There's no way to download the firmware separately

Aaron Brown

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Yes, that I understand. The question I am trying to find out the answer to is...."What is the current FW version in the Shuttle Thunderbolt" so I know if I want to even chance a FW upgrade, given the weird circumstances I have experienced. Can you just tell me what the current version number is? I have asked that question several times, but no BM rep seems to want to state that. What is the current FW version number?

Thanks.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Aaron,

you can move back and forth between firmware updates on the IS. When you download one and install it on your computer, it will ask you to "update" to the one that's currently installed. If you do not get a prompt to update your firmware, that would be the version of Desktop Video you have installed on the device.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Christian Lacasse

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Good morning,
I just bought a BM intensity shuttle. I was hoping to easily capture a variety of cameras and video devices such as: Nikon D800 DSLR, Sony camcorder, Polycom codec unit with HDMI, and other analog devices using component or even composite.

I use software like Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for editing, Quicktime PRO or latest, Adobe Connect for webinars, and simply wish to find software to digitize incoming signals in order to save video as mp4 files or mov. I was hoping my new BM gear to accomplish this...

So far, I read the manual, some threads on this forum, my 2012 MACBOOK PRO retina with Maverick DOES see the shuttle but I cannot see ANY video despite matching the frame rates and adjusting input - output - preferences everywhere i can think of. Can you help please?

Q: will video signal travel through Thunderbolt cable? or TB used only for control and requires shuttle to be connected to my macbook via HDMI?

So far I am very disappointed with the BM product

Adam Simmons

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 8:10 pm

The signal comes down through the TB cable.

Have you tested your input using Media Express? Have you checked that the input source matches a supported format?

I don't know if it's the same on the Mac side, but on the PC side the latest drivers don't work properly with CS6. BM have dropped official support for anything earlier than CC2014

Return to Getting Started