Hyperdeck Studio vs Hyperdeck Studio Mini

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BeanBean

Hyperdeck Studio vs Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm thinking through my recording needs and want to see if there is any compelling reason to pick a Hyperdeck Studio over a Studio Mini.

For my own use, I don't need the extra storage of SSDs, so that doesn't come into play. Is that really the primary difference with the Studio? Because aside from the extra storage capability, the Mini's price point and compact size are plusses for me.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything when evaluating the two.

Xtreemtec

Re: Hyperdeck Studio vs Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 3:55 pm

SSD's are WAY more cheaper storage per GB then the SDHC cards.. Also the Cards need to be have a certain write speed.. A 128Gb card Sandisk Extreme 95mb/s costs around 150 dollar. While a 240Gb SSD with 500mb write speed costs 80 dollars these days.. ;)

But the mini does have H264 support.. But only in progressive.. Interlaced is not supported..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BeanBean

Re: Hyperdeck Studio vs Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Yeah, I currently have a Mini and know the cost of appropriate SD cards is pretty rough. Think you might be talking about 256GB sandisk extremes, because I grabbed 6 of the 128 Sandisk Extreme Pros at 95mb/s for around $55 each.

Just so happens that for my use I can use compressed files, so I can get around 5 hours out of each 128Gb card. That said, there's certainly an appeal to throwing a big SSD in a Hyperdeck Studio and not much worrying about the space left. Of course if I grabbed 2 256GB SD cards, I now have 20 hours of recording time on my Mini for the same price as the Hyperdeck Studio (before buying SSDs) plus H.264.

I'm also going to have two devices recording, with one as a backup, so I could go with a Hyperdeck Studio as my backup device and use a Mini recording in H.264. But I'm going to be running 3 feeds as first, then 6, so a Studio + Studio Mini solution would take up 8u, whereas a full-mini setup would take up 4u.

Return to Getting Started