HDMI video output blacks out intermittently

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

sangram

HDMI video output blacks out intermittently

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 am

Hi,
I am using Blackmagic intensity Pro 4K on my PC and Nvidia graphics card. The video output from my Sony video camera goes to capture card using 5m long HDMI cable. I am using VMix 21.0 for streaming the same video. This configuration is being used in all 3 computers in my organization for live streaming.

My problem is that at random times, the input to VMix becomes blank with black screen. The issue is only resolved when the HDMI cable is plugged out and reinserted after a few minutes. This happens across all three computers at random times.

Could you please suggest possible cause and solution.

Thanks,
Sangram

Denny Smith

Re: HDMI video output blacks out intermittently

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:12 pm

The issue is the 5m cable, BM devices do not like long HDMI cable runs, 3m max.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Could ferrite clamps do any good in this case ?
otherwise HDMI "over" fiber would be a solution for long distances, maybe over ethernet would be more cost effective.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

sangram

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The issue is the 5m cable, BM devices do not like long HDMI cable runs, 3m max.
Cheers

Denny, I received the same suggestion from Blackmagic customer care. I will give it a try in a day or two. I hope the issue is resolved with the solution.

Thanks for your reply.

sangram

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Could ferrite clamps do any good in this case ?
otherwise HDMI "over" fiber would be a solution for long distances, maybe over ethernet would be more cost effective.

Hi Eric,
I didn't take the ferrite clamps into consideration. Thanks for pointing it out.
I will try to confirm if the cable has genuine ferrite clamps, there are lot of fake ones these days.

Could you please explain 'HDMI over fiber'.

Thanks again.

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 pm

There are "adapters" with in between fiber cable, the fiber can be much longer, so you have in fact a fiber cable with HDMI in, and HDMI out on the other end, same is also valid for the Ethernet version, this way you can have more distance between your HDMI devices, but for 5 meters some sort of amplifier/switch/repeater is more cost effective, is my guess, I don't know exact which solution you might need.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 pm

The best solution is to use two Micro or Mini Converters to go from HDMI to SDI and SDI back to HDMI, if the capture card does not have SDI inputs. It it does, then you only need the HDMI to SDI Converter on the camera end.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 am

Also a good solution ! and you can allways use these in another setup later i guess, i googled for HDMI fiber cables, you could be a bit cheaper, but you know you have good quality hardware with the BMD hardware, and support. you then only must know for yourself if you want higher resolutions in the future, with your choice.
(2x Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI + SDI cable = BMD option, up to 1080p60 resolution)
Or you might look into a DeckLink card (various options) this would replace your recent capture card, but then you have SDI in and outputs, (you gain also monitoring options) checkout the BMD products section.

(btw. overheating is no problem in your setup ?)

Return to Getting Started