Resizing Old Video Game Footage - VirtualDub

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

lastx013

Resizing Old Video Game Footage - VirtualDub

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi, I'm brand new to Davinci Resolve (free version). Watched a Getting Started tutorial, and liked what I saw. Most of my footage is old video game footage I record using an emulator, and then I resize it in VirtualDub. However, while trying to import footage, it seems Resolve doesn't like the codec I used (Lagarith). So I'm looking for another codec I can use in VirtualDub to compress that Resolve can work with. I've downloaded DNxHD and Cineform but they aren't working with VirtualDub (possible that I'm not installing them correctly).

It's possible that I may need to use something besides VirtualDub to resize, and I'm open to suggestions.

Craig Marshall

Re: Resizing Old Video Game Footage - VirtualDub

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Your material may not be at a constant frame rate. If you're on Win 10 64bit, this GUI command line tool will do everything you need to prep files for Resolve http://hdcinematics.com/forms/V6-Download.html

Note that you'll need to install FFMPEG separately. http://hdcinematics.com/wnorton/v6-user-guide
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Eric-Jan

Re: Resizing Old Video Game Footage - VirtualDub

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 pm

To make things easier you can also hardware encode directly, like with the H264 Encoder from BMD,
it saves time, or you can encode H264 to another codec after that.
Take a look at the BMD products overview.
btw. you use a capture device ? if so, which one ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started