SDI to HDMI Converter. No HDMI signal on output.

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

TonyAmatangelo

SDI to HDMI Converter. No HDMI signal on output.

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 pm

I purchased a new SDI to HDMI converter and have no HDMI output. Video signal starts with a Sony HVR Z1U camera, component output to Blackmagic Design Analog to SDI converter where audio is embedded from a Berringer sound board. When the SDI signal is connected to a switch that converts it to run over ethernet, it's converted to HDMI at the end and works fine. The same signal going into the Micro SDI to HDMI converted has no HDMI output. The power LED is on. The input LED flashes for a time and then goes blank. The device is brand new. Any ideas?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: SDI to HDMI Converter. No HDMI signal on output.

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 pm

Hello Tony. From the specifications, the camera appears to be analog component or composite and not serial digital. Maybe there is an option to do so but when you mentioned component, I suspect it is analog and not digital.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 am

This camera has only in the 480p60/567p50 (SD) resolution in progressive mode, it does have a Firewire(4wire)/iLink but i don't know if this will support the other HD (interlaced) resolutions, you could also export your recordings from DVCAM tape with anoter player, if that player supports the HD video (interlaced) signal output.
A capture device like the Intensity Shuttle, or another product from BMD would also be an option, but sometimes the 60p framerate isn't supported so you must keep an eye out for that.
(i guess you can upscale the interlaced video resolutions hardware wise, but you have to buy some new stuff, if you plan to keep using this old model camera)
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Personally, I do not think the Sony HVR Z1U cameras are worth the effort. They were designed as consumer camcorders, designed to record to type, not for use as live switching video cameras. I tried using similar Canon csmeras for a PEG TV station, ended up getting Panasonic AF100 cameras instead. This was before BM current Studio csmeras cameras were available.

If you want to go to HD, then you need to replace theses cameras also. You could start with something like the BM Micro Studio Cameras for locked down shots, and the new Ursa Broadcast camera for manned camera, thst can use a broadcast type B4 Zoom lens. Start with the Micro Studio and add the Broadcast camera as you are able. This is what we ended up doing at our local cable TV station.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 pm

The Sony HVR Z1U does have build in ND filters.. i think that's atleast done with a prosumer in mind,
1080i scaled up to p, isn't helpful ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

TonyAmatangelo

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone. The camera was sending analog output to the blackmagic analog to SDI converter which was outputing a digital signal at 1080i/60. The SDI to HDMI converter was feeding a monitor with 720p max input. That's why the input LED was blinking. It couldn't handshake between the two. I installed an Echo EDID emulator/Resolution converter between the the HDMI converter and the Monitor and it solved the handshake problem. I appreciate all the ideas. Between the forum and Riz at Blackmagic, I was able to nail down a solution in pretty quick order. Thanks.

Return to Getting Started