Mini recorder black screen with certain HDMI sources

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Anthony Denson

Mini recorder black screen with certain HDMI sources

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:30 am

I have just installed a mini recorder and it works fine with a Panasonic video camera or my MacBook using the HDMI output. However when I connect to certain other sources including the output from a CCTV DVR I just get a black screen.

Xtreemtec

Re: Mini recorder black screen with certain HDMI sources

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:44 am

Your mini recorder is able to capture up to 1080I or 1080P30 maximum..
The other sources will output 1080P50/60 or are HDCP protected..

DVR is almost certain 1080P50/60 So unless there is a resolution setting for 1280x720P you wont be able to capture that.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Anthony Denson

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks. I have changed the DVR ouput to 1280x720 and it now works with Blackmagic Media Express. However, it still shows a black screen with other applications including Photo Booth. Any thoughts ?

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 3:40 pm

If mediaexpress works. And you exited Media express and photobooth does not work.. Then this app is not compatible with the BMD hardware..

But mediaexpress is leading.. If that works.. The hardware workflow is OK and working..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Anthony Denson

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 4:10 pm

It also doesn't work with Ecamm Live which explicitly says on its website that it supports the Mini Recorder.
I only mentioned Photo Booth because it is an Apple built-in app and one would assume that BM have tested with it.

Anthony Denson

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 4:55 pm

I now have it running with Ecamm Live, however it is very curious. I tried running OBS which showed the camera feed and then switched to Ecamm Live which started to work. However, I then ran Photo Booth which still didn't work and after that Ecamm Live wouldn't work until I ran OBS again.

Eric-Jan

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 7:04 am

If a non-BlackMagic Design app doesn't work with the hardware of BlackMagic Design try at the support of the app for help, or at a OBS forum for help, big chance they use also the BMD harware, or have a FAQ about it, or a Google with all related keywords will help, sometimes i've expierenced that Google gives better results than the local search function of a forum.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 am

Also switching between apps and it stops somewhere in between.. Might be that 1 app did not release the device..
Keeping it hold and blocked for other apps to use..
The driver is protecting that multiple apps can use the device..

Restart your machine and replug the device.. See what happens..

And i'm with Eric.. Who says that Apple Photobooth is even remotely compatible with this capture device??
It needs a complete integration into the software to support it.. It is a high end capture device.. Not a USB Webcam that works in almost all software.. :idea:

Eric-Jan

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 7:02 pm

I think BMD does a great job in making affordable (broadcast/capture) video equipment, but also great software like Davinci Resolve or even de Studio version for a one time fee, my (longtime) experience with computers is,
one should not expect automagicly that things just will work together.
It is not the task of BMD to fix 3rd party software apps, it would be an impossible task for BMD.
Through Davinci Resolve i noticed also the BMD hardware, an ideal combination !

Only way to check if any hardware will work with BMD hardware, is to put both manuals next to each other and compare the specifications, even before buying equipment you can download the (PDF) manuals, in most cases.
If you can't find any user experiences for the app you plan to use with BMD hardware, big chance is that it can't be used that way.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

SteveTV

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 8:07 pm

And as long as HDCP is active on your DVR or Cable Box HDMI Output... a copy-protection scheme added to the HDMI standard... you will continue to have 'Black Screen' recording results with the Mini Recorder. ;)

Anthony Denson

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 3:15 pm

SteveTV wrote:And as long as HDCP is active on your DVR or Cable Box HDMI Output... a copy-protection scheme added to the HDMI standard... you will continue to have 'Black Screen' recording results with the Mini Recorder. ;)

I'm curious as to why a DVR manufacturer would make HDCP active. By definition the video is private.

Anthony Denson

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:I think BMD does a great job in making affordable (broadcast/capture) video equipment, but also great software like Davinci Resolve or even de Studio version for a one time fee, my (longtime) experience with computers is,
one should not expect automagicly that things just will work together.
It is not the task of BMD to fix 3rd party software apps, it would be an impossible task for BMD.
Through Davinci Resolve i noticed also the BMD hardware, an ideal combination !

Only way to check if any hardware will work with BMD hardware, is to put both manuals next to each other and compare the specifications, even before buying equipment you can download the (PDF) manuals, in most cases.
If you can't find any user experiences for the app you plan to use with BMD hardware, big chance is that it can't be used that way.

I think you are gving a little more credit to user manuals there than is my general experience. Also as I said above, the developer of Ecamm Live claims it supports BMD, so I hardly think the user manual is going to say it doesn't. Obviously, I need to get help from Ecamm Live if the problem persists. I would have natually gone to their support forum but they don't have one. I will have to email them. I raised the question here because I rather thought that there would be users of BMD and Ecamm Live.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Hello Anthony. The Mini Recorder should work fine for your setup. The important things to remember are only one software can have control of any of our capture devices. The HDMI source should be free of HDCP or it will not pass. To test the Mini Recorder, make sure all applications that might use it are closed and not just minimized. Open Media Express and verify that you are seeing the signal. If so, close Meidia express (not minimize). Open your desired software and it should work. Switching software is not valid. They must be closed and not minimized. If a software product does not see the capture device (and should) then probably some other software is using it.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Eric-Jan

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Sometimes the Apple "Force Quit" function will show a program is still running, while the lower app bar has no dot under the icon.

Return to Getting Started