iMac Pro Bootcamp Windows 10 mini Recorder not working

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

dcorti

iMac Pro Bootcamp Windows 10 mini Recorder not working

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I have installed Windows 10 Pro with Bootcamp on both my iMac Pro1,1 2017 and Macbook Pro13,3 2016. The UltraStudio Mini Recorder is connected via the Apple USB-C Thunderbolt 2 adapter and works fine on OSx High Sierra and the Windows 10 Bootcamp on the Macbook Pro *** but not *** on the Bootcamp iMac Pro. The Mini Recorder ***light turns off*** right after the Windows 10 selection (boot) but does not turn back on seconds later (as it does on the Macbook Pro, hence works thereafter in the session). I have reinstalled both machines with no luck. I suspect there is a driver problem related to the USB-C hardware of the iMac Pro with the Bootcamp. Again, the mini recorder works fine on that machine using High Sierra, it's not a cable problem. Thank you for your support. Diego

Brad Hurley

Re: iMac Pro Bootcamp Windows 10 mini Recorder not working

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Just to be sure: did you download and install the Windows version of BMD's Desktop Video software in the Windows 10 bootcamp partition of your iMac?
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Have you installed Desktop Video for Windows under the Windows enviroment?
Does Desktop Video see the interface?

Also as the Mac was designed for Apple software.. It all depends on how well the Bootcamp integration of the hardware of the mac is.. If those drivers for the Mac hardware under windows fail..
Then this will fail also..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brad Hurley

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Also as the Mac was designed for Apple software.. It all depends on how well the Bootcamp integration of the hardware of the mac is.. If those drivers for the Mac hardware under windows fail..
Then this will fail also..

I believe Bootcamp driver updates are now perfomed through MacOS updates, so you could check to be sure you're running the very latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6 according to my computer). That should rule out any USB-C hardware driver issues with the iMac Pro under Bootcamp. If it still doesn't work, though, and you've installed the latest version of Desktop Video for Windows from BMD, it's really an Apple support question not a BMD support question.

dcorti

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 6:42 am

Thank you for your suggestions, I have all latest drivers and Blackmagic software on both the Mac High Sierra system and the Bootcamp running Windows 10 Pro (I am an IT professional). I have tested the UltraStudio on another recent iMac (not the Pro) and it works on both environments. It's definitely a iMac Pro - Bootcamp issue with the power being cut on the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) right after the initial switch (option key) on the Windows partition. The UltraStudio light shuts down and does not come back (i.e. no power being sent to the USB-C) with Bootcamp. The power and connection works fine under the High Sierra partition.
Has anyone successfully used the UltraStudio mini Recorder on an iMac Pro running Windows 10 ? I am not sure it's a iMacPro specific driver problem with external USB-C power or a Blackmagic driver issue.
I need the Bootcamp-Windows 10 for reliability with OBS streaming with multi cams.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 pm

That's a specific-enough question that your best bet might be to contact BMD support directly:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/ (scroll to the bottom to find email and phone links)

They might be able to test this in-house. I doubt there are a lot of people with your specific use case; most iMac Pro users would probably use the mini recorder in the MacOS environment even if they have a Bootcamp partition with Windows. And a lot of Mac users who need Windows run emulation software like Parallels or VMWare; I prefer Bootcamp because it doesn't involve emulation but I think we're in the minority. ;-)

dcorti

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Thank you again, I have reported this issue to support by email, no reaction yet, I will wait another day. Cheers everyone, I was hoping that some of you would have an iMac Pro with Bootcamp/Windows/mini Recorder and confirm my issue. I will keep this forum posted.

Return to Getting Started