Blackmagic vs ASIO4ALL

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Fairlight2cx

Blackmagic vs ASIO4ALL

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Well, this is a problem...

I installed my Intensity Pro 4K on Sunday morning. Streaming had an audio sync issue on the HDMI out to the TV (captures/streams were fine, though), and I was working through that with support.

However... I went to create a sound today in my DAW. That's when everything went downhill.

-NO- application which uses ASIO4ALL will open if the Blackmagic Desktop Video drivers are installed. I tried the latest 10.11.2, as well as the 10.5.4 support wanted me to try anyway for the audio sync issue.

The second you install the BM drivers, anything which uses ASIO4ALL will refuse to start, and will crash so hard that the logs are truncated prematurely. I tried: FL Studio 20, Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Studio One 3.5.6, Kontakt 5.8.1, and Omnisphere 2.5. Absolutely every last one of them crashes on start, right at about the point ASIO4ALL should be starting.

The second you uninstall BM drivers and reboot, every last one of those programs will launch and run correctly.

I've repeated this entire cycle three times. I have zero doubts about the cause/conflict. I also know the ASIO4ALL author well enough to know there is no way he's going to alter ASIO4ALL to suit whatever the BM driver is doing oddly.

I did try a middle-ground of disabling both the Line-In and Speakers devices in the Sound section of the Control Panel in Windows. This did absolutely nothing to alleviate the issue.

I'm out of options, at this point.

I use/need my DAWs and synths a -lot- more than I intend or "need" to stream my Nintendo Switch or my GoPro (the sole use cases). So unless someone has a fix, I'm going to have to return the card tomorrow. I'm facing a deadline on returning a very pricey $130 HDMI cable for this whole project (which also saw shortcomings in the Elgato HD60 Pro, prior to getting the Intensity Pro 4K...I took the scenic route), so either everything works or everything does not. If not, I need to execute returns ASAP.

I have no animosity towards BM. I'm actually posting both as a warning to others, and as a last-ditch, last-moment attempt to get a solution before I uninstall the physical card and return it tomorrow. I'm not very hopeful one exists, as my searches on Google for a similar conflict have proven ineffective. However, it's worth a shot.

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic vs ASIO4ALL

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Well Microsoft does have a certain strategy, and keeping "things" under control... i don't like...
I am a happy MAC fan boy now because of that, not all is well with Apple too, but i have much less problems using a MacBook now, need no virus protector subscribtion anymore, and that also feels great.

just my to cents, and never looking back.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Fairlight2cx

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Well Microsoft does have a certain strategy, and keeping "things" under control... i don't like...
I am a happy MAC fan boy now because of that, not all is well with Apple too, but i have much less problems using a MacBook now, need no virus protector subscribtion anymore, and that also feels great.

just my to cents, and never looking back.

As someone whose day job is comprised in large part of IT security, I can tell you that you're labouring under a false sense of security regarding the alleged invulnerability of your OSX operating system. You're only as safe as you are because nobody's made it a primary target. You're -just- as vulnerable in general (in some cases, moreso, as Apple is horrible about security). And there are things like Spectre/Meltdown which are completely platform-agnostic, and affect any moden Intel CPUs.

You probably want to rethink your security strategy.

Byron Dickens

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Ditch ASIO4ALL and use the drivers that your interface manufacturer supplies. ASIO4ALL is notorious; it is often said that it is either the solution to all your problems or the cause of all your problems.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Fairlight2cx

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Byron Dickens wrote:Ditch ASIO4ALL and use the drivers that your interface manufacturer supplies. ASIO4ALL is notorious; it is often said that it is either the solution to all your problems or the cause of all your problems.

I won't claim I love ASIO4ALL (and I can't stand its ultra-arrogant author [although part of the arrogance is justified by his skill and knowledge]), but it's the only one which fits -all- my needs. None of the others that come with my software or my interfaces are multi-device, and I -need- multi-device.

If there were a sane alternative, I'd take it, even if it were premium-priced payware. I've never heard of one, though.

Too late in any event. The Intensity was returned already. I wouldn't have had time to do any proper research into an alternative ASIO driver in the refund window for the other gear that was all wrapped up in this mad project.

Having gone through two different cards and three HDMI cables in the attempt, I'm just calling streaming the Nintendo Switch something that was not meant to be, and calling it day for at least a good long while.

The point remains that BM drivers are the -only- software which has ever caused problems with ASIO4ALL for me. I have a quibble or two with ASIO4ALL, but nothing deal-breaking.

Return to Getting Started