Blackmagic Intensity thunderbolt…Can´t make it work

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
Laika6

Blackmagic Intensity thunderbolt…Can´t make it work

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 10:00 am

Hello,

I have just bought the Blackmagic Intensity thunderbolt, but I haven't been able to make it work.
I have download the last drivers and software and I am trying to digitalize some Betamax and Hi8 tapes, but no way.
Using the Blackmagic Media Express, in the case of the Hi8 I see the image blinking constantly. I have read that in some cases I would need a TBC…
What can I do?
On the other hand I bought a very simple capture card, and in this case I can capture with no problem. But I bought the blackmagic, thinking it would give me more quality.

I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you

Have a nice day

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Intensity thunderbolt…Can´t make it work

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Hello Ana. There are many discussions on this in the Forum. And lots of people with experience as well. You definitely need a TBC, Time Base Corrector for any capture of these formats. If you have a device that doesn't seem to need one, it's because there would be a TBC inside. No way to do it otherwise. All of our capture devices need a stable video signal to function properly.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic Intensity thunderbolt…Can´t make it work

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 am

Yes, there are some options, Ana, since your current camera gives not a steady signal, you might search for a VCR, one that has build-in TBC/stabilisation,, and use it as a "passthrough" for your Hi8 camera "player" to the Intensity.
for the Hi8 tapes a Digital8 camera/player can also be used, because it has a stable output signal and has a DV/iLink connection, which you could connect to a Firewire interface of a PC or laptop, you can also add a Firewire interface to a laptop or pc, this type of interface isn't used that much anymore on new equipment.

I'm using a Panasonic DMR-ES35V vcr, and JVC HR-S8960 vcr, both have a stable enough output signal for the Itensity Shuttle, and can alo be used as passthrough.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started