motherboard compatibility

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

permidion

motherboard compatibility

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi

I would like to know how did you manage to limit the compatibility of your Intensity Shuttle to only X58 motherboard?
Isnt USB3 supposed to work the same everywhere?

What is so special that X58 board have that is not available on other USB3 board?

thank you in advance
best regards
Peter

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: motherboard compatibility

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 10:45 pm

It's more the integration of the USB3 controllers on the motherboard that is the issue. Many of the earlier generation motherboards had the on board USB3 controllers on the south bridge which limited throughput. This is why we had better results with add in USB3 cards

I've tested a few new Gigabyte board with better success.

Z77X-UP4 TH works with all of our USB3 products
Z77X-UP5 TH works with all of our USB3 products EXCEPT Ultrastudio Pro (we're not sure why here).
Z77X-D3H TH we have in house but have not tested yet. So we're hoping to have that done in the next few weeks.

One further note, we have not yet tested any of these with Pocket Ultrascope but we expect that they work provided you use a sufficient graphics card.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

permidion

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 am

thank you for these information

best regards
Peter

philpav

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 1:06 am

Hello,

I've read the official news about Thunderbolt support on Windows. That's great news!
Since Thunderbolt is only available on the latest Z77 motherboards does that mean that also the PCIe products (Intensity Pro, Decklink,...) aren't limited to outdated x58 motherboards any more?
Unfortunately the Minimum System Requirements for Windows haven't been updated since 21 September 2011.

Thank you & kind regards
Philipp
Last edited by philpav on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Sädtler

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 5:20 pm

I personally use the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3 Revision) because it has a NEC USB 3.0 Chipset.

I don't know about other ASUS Boards but as long as they have a NEC (Rensas Electronics) Chipset it should work.

philpav

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Thank for Rodney for your answer.
I was referring to the PCIe product line though such as the Intensity Pro.

I know I should have hijacked this thread. But the thread title was fitting ;-)

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Rodney wrote:I personally use the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3 Revision) because it has a NEC USB 3.0 Chipset.

I don't know about other ASUS Boards but as long as they have a NEC (Rensas Electronics) Chipset it should work.

Its worth mentioning this. I have that board in the Rev 3 version which does NOT have Renasas. It has the Asmedia USB3 controller which unfortunately did not work. :(

Also the above mentioned board work with the PCI-e stuff as well (pay attention to your slotting on them as the middle board has some funny slot caveats (clearly lined out in the manual of the motherboard).

I will get those up on our supported list soon.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

philpav

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks but the ASUS P8P67 is also an older generation.
Any info on newer ones like the Z77 Ivy Bridge chipsets?

wazzzup

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 am

Hi

I want to install 3 Intensity Pro PCIe-Cars in a PC. But it doesn't work with this PC. With other PCs it workt great.
The problematic PC is a HP Pavilion p6-2285eg with an Intel H61 Chipset.

Windows allways says, that the Firmware of the Intensity Pro Cards has to be updated. But it fails to update it.
And when shutting down the PC it freezes because of the Intensity Pro cards.

what can i do?

Paolo Castellano

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 pm

philpav wrote:Thanks but the ASUS P8P67 is also an older generation.
Any info on newer ones like the Z77 Ivy Bridge chipsets?

Hi,
I'm using the Intensity Shuttle with:
Asus P9X79 and its integrated Asmedia USB 3.0 (two Shuttles, one for IN and one for OUT)
Asus P8Z77-M and its integrated Intel+Asmedia USB 3.0 (there is no difference between the ports)
Asus P8Z77-V LK and its integrated Intel+Asmedia USB 3.0 (there is no difference between the ports)

All systems work fine.
NOTE: some other people in the Creative Cow forum wrote that they cannot use the Shuttle with the P9X79, but I haven't made anything special to get it work; just installed, plugged and played.

Best Regards,

Paolo Castellano
www.ivsEdits.com

marahiskandar

PostWed Oct 10, 2012 5:11 am

Hi,

No intention to hijack this thread but found the subject inline with what i intend to ask.

As mentioned by some of the guys here, the motherboard compatibility list is not up to date. Since we intend to built a machine that uses the Decklink Studio, am wondering are there any micro-atx board that are compatible with the Decklinks eg. Studio, Duo etc. ?

Any replies are greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Konflict

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 am

Paoloivs wrote:
Hi,
I'm using the Intensity Shuttle with:
Asus P9X79 and its integrated Asmedia USB 3.0 (two Shuttles, one for IN and one for OUT)
Asus P8Z77-M and its integrated Intel+Asmedia USB 3.0 (there is no difference between the ports)
Asus P8Z77-V LK and its integrated Intel+Asmedia USB 3.0 (there is no difference between the ports)

All systems work fine.

Hi Paolo,

Thank you for sharing this informations.

As a matter of fact I'm currently struggling to get Pocket Ultrascope work on Asus P8Z77-M.

Unfortunately I can't say it works fine, as I only get "no input" notification in Ultrascope app. On top of that whole program behaves rather odd, response to mouse click is super slow. Actually to get anything happen I have to Alt+Tab out of and back to application. Honestly I can't decide whether its graphics card issue, motherboard issue or combination of both.

Anyway could you please share specific version of drivers you are using?

Thank you.

Cheers

J.P.

Paolo Castellano

PostSat May 11, 2013 9:11 am

Hi J.P.,
I'm sorry for the delay but I don't receive notifications when somebody answers into a topic where I posted.
I'm sorry, but I never used the Pocket Ultrascope on new mainboards, so I cannot help you; I suppose that you tried to plug it to all ports, right? What is your OS version?
Ciao,

Paolo Castellano
www.ivsEdits.com

Konflict

PostMon May 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Paoloivs wrote:Hi J.P.,

I'm sorry, but I never used the Pocket Ultrascope on new mainboards, so I cannot help you; I suppose that you tried to plug it to all ports, right? What is your OS version?
Ciao,

Paolo Castellano
http://www.ivsEdits.com

Hi Paolo,

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Yes, I tried both USB 3.0 ports on motherboard, unfortunately its same on both of them. All I have is very slow, unresponsive application with "no input" status. Thank you for suggestion though its a good one.

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

I also tried to expansion card with newer Renesas µPD720202 chip on latest fw + drivers (as older recommended chips are getting increasingly hard to find) resulting in rensponsive application but unstable input droping "signal los" twice every second. This would be however for different thread as this has nothing to do with direct motheboard compatibility.

By the way official BM support suggested to increase bandwidth of USB ports in BIOS. Unfortunately there is nothing in BIOS allowing me to do so.

Faulty Pocket Ultrascope / cable could be pretty much excluded as well because I have two identical units performing exactly same on both integrated and expansion USB chip.

What puzzles me most is that some of BMs USB 3.0 products performs well on P8Z77-M while others wont.

Nevertheless thank you for reply, really appreciate that.

Kind regards

J.P.

Return to Getting Started