Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt. Really no 1080p60?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Clinton Vadnais

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt. Really no 1080p60?

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm

There really isn't a way to capture 1080p60? It can do 1080i60 but not p60? This really hinders my workflow with a particular use case.

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt. Really no 1080

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 3:24 pm

That's a fact yes, because it's meant mainly to capture from analog devices, like for NTSC 30 frames interlaced,
if you capture only through the HDMI port you might have taken the wrong choice with the Intensity Shuttle.
From which device you need to capture ? (available output connections?) there might be an other solution for that.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Take a look at the Ultrastudio mini HD Which has USB-C and will capture up to 1080P60.

The Shuttle and Ultrastudio mini will only go up 1080i60.. Has also to do with the restriction of speed on the TB bus. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Eric-Jan

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Depending if you need an HDMI input, which i guess te Intensity has, you need to convert first HDMI to SDI, for the Ultrastudio mini HD.
But there wasn't much info in the question in the first place.
Or are you using the analog component video option ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Clinton Vadnais

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm

I've been using the Intensity at work for many years now. Generally connected to a scaler's HDMI output. This is a lecture capture set up. We use 720p60. Today I was trying to do something a little different with a wireless HDMI rig sending a feed from a PC from down the hall. The signal only comes up as 1080p60. I could feed this into either of my scalers but in this case I needed the HDMI audio as well and my scaler breaks that function. I usually am taking in 720p60 via HDMI with audio from RCA from an analog mixer.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Maybe an idea for you, since you are allready using a wireless connection, time lag is not important ?
or does the wireless connection use a analog transfer method (no lag) ?
A network (over IP) is maybe an option in your case, or is this overkill ?
The wireless connection is not fullHD i understand, and you are limited because of too high settings at the moment. changing the setup could make things easier, if "production quality" is allowed to be downgraded.

btw. the Intensity Shuttle has multiple outputs, where the input signal is also available, and scaling is also possible during that.

Clinton Vadnais

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks again for chiming in. Lag isn't generally an issue for my use case. Unfortunately I don't think I can put devices on our network here. IT generally doesn't allow for that. Plus this wireless HDMI device gets moved around and used for various things on and off site.

I've never been able to get the outputs to work with my configurations but either way the scaling is desired on input. It's PC content from VGA/HDMI split generally.

Looks like I won't be able to use my set up as it is now for this particular use. Oh well. Thanks a lot.

Eric-Jan

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 5:34 pm

What's the brand and model name/number of the wireless rig ? what options do you need ? also "back talk" ?
there are some different wireless video options, also HD wifi cams, you could do a search on youtube.
Or you might need some new equipment with more options or better resolution options.
Technology just keeps getting better, and it isn't allways expensive.

Return to Getting Started