Zoom vs XLR Phantom

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Zoom vs XLR Phantom

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Any opinions on plugging a mic directly into the URSA Mini Pro as opposed to using a ZOOM recorder? I have no sound gear of my own so I'm renting out the mic and I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that there are drawbacks for using the XLR cables and phantom power instead of using a ZOOM to record sound.

Eric-Jan

Re: Zoom vs XLR Phantom

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Strange compare.... why not wireless microphones with your camera it does have XLR....
are the pre-amps of that camera no good ? otherwise use the camera sound as refference sound for sync with the the recordings of a better than Zoom recorder, look for a recorder with analog pre-amps so you won't have clipping/distortion with too loud peaks.
The camera has (too) loud fan(s) ? using the onboard pre-amps saves sync work flow in post obviously.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

Re: Zoom vs XLR Phantom

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 pm

The UM Pro has good onboard mic preamps and excellent line level amps. I second using wireless lags for u terviews, but wired lavs a,so work, and the camera can provide phantom power. It’s also quality is as good or better than a Zoom.

Add a digital microeconomics like rhe Sound Devices MixPreD, and you can take the AES outout from the mixer and connect to the camera, and get excellent results. Two channels of audio are carried from the MixPre D to the camera in one AES cable.

You can also assign one XLR for AES, mix down the two channels in the MixPre D to one channel, feed it to left or right XLR on the camera, and feed a third mic into the other xlr input, from say, a high quality audio recorder or wireless mic receiver.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started