Need some tips re the "old" Hyperdeck Shuttle.

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James_H

Need some tips re the "old" Hyperdeck Shuttle.

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello, All. Jim here.

Quite some time ago, (about 10 years, I think), I bought a Hyperdeck Shuttle. It was an extravagance but I was very keen to get better video footage than my old Canon HV20 could produce. In the event, I never quite got around to putting it through its paces, and it has sat in a cupboard since then.

I've just resurrected it and I'm thinking of hooking it up to a Panasonic GH5, to see how it goes with that camera's 4K abilities. Before I do that, I thought I'd best find out exactly what can be done with Shuttles and DSLRs. Also, I probably should see if I need to update the software, (if that's possible now).

I'm just an enthusiastic amateur and I know I'm probably way too far behind everyone else here, but any helpful advice will be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Denny Smith

Re: Need some tips re the "old" Hyperdeck Shuttle.

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Well updating the firmware depends on which model you have. There was a Shuttle, and a Shuttle 2, only the latter (Shuttle 2), which was labeld recording DNxHD or Avid, can be updated to record ProRes HD. The first model Shuttle records uncompressed video only up to HD. Neither one will record UHD or 4K, for that you need the new BM Video Assist 4K, and it records up to UHD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

James_H

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 12:30 am

Denny Smith wrote:Well updating the firmware depends on which model you have. There was a Shuttle, and a Shuttle 2, only the latter (Shuttle 2), which was labeld recording DNxHD or Avid, can be updated to record ProRes HD. The first model Shuttle records uncompressed video only up to HD. Neither one will record UHD or 4K, for that you need the new BM Video Assist 4K, and it records up to UHD.
Cheers

Pretty sure mine is #1. The guy said I had to wait while they did some adjustments to it, so I got the impression it was more or less a prototype.

But I've done a bit more research and it seems I don't really need it, now that I have the gh5.

Thanks for your reply.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:10 pm

The only reason to put a recorder in the GH5, is to get ProRes files, which are less compressed and easier to edit if yiu are doing a lot of post production processing, than the highly compressed AVCHD files.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

James_H

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 1:46 am

Denny Smith wrote:The only reason to put a recorder in the GH5, is to get ProRes files, which are less compressed and easier to edit if yiu are doing a lot of post production processing, than the highly compressed AVCHD files.
Cheers

Ah. Well I already have Prores codec on my computer, so it seems like I don't need these Shuttles any more anyway. Although, I suppose I could keep it for when I use one of my other video cameras that are also sitting in the cupboard, gathering dust. :?

Thanks for the tips, Denny.

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Well yes and no, transcoding the GH5 AVCHD or MPEG files to ProRes, is not the same as recording ProRes directly from the camera output to an external recorder. But, depending on how you use the files, it might not be thst much of a gain, unless you want to use Resolve and get the best resolution and color bit depth for post production editing. In that case, recording to something like the Video Assist would be better.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started