Teranex 2d too limited in options

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rjb

Teranex 2d too limited in options

PostTue May 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Hello all,

Bought a teranex 2d to do Pal to Ntsc conversions and had to do 2 coversion, both don't work out.
1. 1080i50 upper field to NTSC SD. Teranex converts the field order to lower, as it feels Ntsc Sd should be lower field and will not allow the field order to stay upper as the original??? You get a nasty field order problem as a result when encoding.
2. 1080p25 conversion to PAL SD (720x576). I can only convert the progressive material to interlaced, it does not allow me to keep it progressive???

Does anyone have these issue's, or know of a workaround? Isn't it strange that a 2000 euro teranex is not able to do the above?

Regards,

Rjb

Mike Squires

Re: Teranex 2d too limited in options

PostTue May 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Well, NTSC is a standard, and it's lower field first.

Andy Delle

PostWed May 15, 2013 4:08 am

And to answer question #2:

Both NTSC and PAL are INTERLACED standards. There is technically no such thing as progressive PAL and NTSC. Yes, many DVD players can output 480P or 576P. But 480P is not NTSC and likewise 576P is not PAL. Progressive formats are under ATSC standards in the USA and in component form only. There is no progressive composite or S video standard. I'm not sure how 576P is classified in Europe.

rjb

PostWed May 15, 2013 5:39 am

1) I understand about the standard not being official, but the issue is here, that as the teranex is also a format convertor, if it receives an 1080i upper field interlaced video (also a standard?) and outputs it as lower field, it better do something internally about the fieldorder switch, the result as it is now is horrible... (when encoding to mpeg lower field, that is)
2) This case is for a local european release, it will stay PAL and dvd-players here, as far as I know, do playback progressive content. All my mpeg-encoders do allow to encode progressively, so I could do the scaling in them, but I thought when I have this teranex convertor :), I am sure it will do the scaling better and keep the video progressive!

If BlackmagicDesign wants to keep within a certain standard, that's fine, however, as this is also a format convertor, maybe it is an idea to put in a new feature in the firmware where you can let the Teranex override any field order if requested and allow for progressive material to stay progressive if the user would like that.

Is there an effective way to request new features, or is the forum the best place for that?

RJB

Adam Simmons

PostWed May 15, 2013 6:36 am

Just a note, DVD players may be able to output progressive, but the DVD Video standard itself doesn't for PAL. The disc has to be authored in interlaced to make it DVD compliant, and most authoring software will either reject a progressive file or re-encode it to interlaced. If you want to make a disc that is guaranteed to play on anyone's PAL DVD player @ 25fps then it has to be interlaced.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

James Hope

PostWed May 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Adbear wrote:Just a note, DVD players may be able to output progressive, but the DVD Video standard itself doesn't for PAL. The disc has to be authored in interlaced to make it DVD compliant, and most authoring software will either reject a progressive file or re-encode it to interlaced. If you want to make a disc that is guaranteed to play on anyone's PAL DVD player @ 25fps then it has to be interlaced.

Yes, this is correct. DVD players actually do the de-interlace. The MPEG2 streams on the disc are interlaced.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Mike Squires

PostThu May 16, 2013 1:03 am

And to make it more confusing:

DV NTSC is lower-field first

MPEG2 NTSC (for DVD) is upper-field first

Thank God they all decided on upper-field first for HD.

Return to Getting Started