[Fixed] Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt - Linux Thunderbolt 3

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

RobinCastlin

[Fixed] Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt - Linux Thunderbolt 3

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm

I've been using BMIS Usb 3.0 for a couple of years but really wanted to get this to work on Linux. That's why I purchased a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt since it says to have Linux support. However I can't get my computer to detect the device at all.

I have:
* Ubuntu 18.10 (Linux)
* Thunderbolt 3 port
* Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapater
* Thunderbolt 2 to 2 cable
* Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
* Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Linux_10.11.4/deb/x86_64 installed

I have openened all securities regarding thunderbolt through that I can find (BIOS) and installed several softwares in an attempt to at least detect my device. Also been googling around a bit but haven't managed to find many examples even showcasing people getting it to work on linux overall. Hopefully I'm just missing something somewhere, please point me to any help that comes to mind if possible.

*Edit:*

I've seen a bunch of troubleshooting for running `BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater status` but this gives me no output at all regardless of what version I seem to install. `lspci | grep Blackmagic` gives me nothing either, however `lsmod | grep blackmagic` gives "blackmagic_io 1802240 0
blackmagic 557056 0"

*Update:*

So after reading around a lot online, made sure I have the latest BIOs Firmware etc. and even built my own Kernel with `CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG=y`. No dice so far but I think this is because of my Apple Thunder 3 to 2 adapter not being compatible with my Linux system. I've ordered a new adapter that hopefully might help me better.
Last edited by RobinCastlin on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinCastlin

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt for Linux Thunderbolt 3

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

I managed to get things working through allowing a bunch of stuff in BIOS, etc. and replacing my Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter with a Startech one. Turns out it wasn't a Blackmagic issue.

Eric-Jan

Re: [Fixed] Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt - Linux Thunderbol

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm a great fan of the BMD-IS (TB2) too, i use it with my (early2015) MacBook Pro, had no installation problems,
but i can imagine that other Linux OS users, like to know the details how you got things worked out, unless you think you gave enough clues for that.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started