eGPU and Mac Mini

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

InMnBob

eGPU and Mac Mini

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Can't get the Mac Mini to work with the eGPU and Samsung Thunderbolt monitor. The eGPU and the Macbook Pro i have work perfectly together when I connect the Macbook Pro to the eGPU and then the eGPU to the monitor using Thunderbolt 3 cables. However when I duplicate that on the new Mac Mini the signal never gets to the monitor. I tested this with the same cables and obviously the same monitors. If i connect the mac mini to the eGPU and directly to the monitor I can see that the software integration works and the eGPU is recognized in the menu bar as well as in the system monitor. Obviously that's not the optimum configuration so looking for help before I return the unit. Talked to Apple support and they didn't have any ideas. Hope someone here has the answers.

Arnout

Re: eGPU and Mac Mini

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi, I'm having the same problem with the Mac Mini, BM eGPU (Radeon 580) and LG 4K monitor with USB-C input. The monitor is an LG 27ud88-w 4K display. I'm using a Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect the mini to the eGPU and USB-C cable from eGPU to monitor. HDMI cable works a bit better, but only at 30hz and no booting.

Mac Mini > LG 4K = fine

Mac Mini > LG 4K + Mac Mini > eGPU = fine

Mac Mini > eGPU > LG 4K = no signal at all, black screen with empty menu bar and mouse pointer or 'normal' image but with lower resolution (1080p).

The last option should be the best way, when reading reviews from Macbook users. But on the Mac Mini it's not working or unreliable. Why? A closed Macbook isn't much different from a Mac Mini right?

What should be the way to go?

Arnout

Re: eGPU and Mac Mini

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 1:33 pm

OK, got it working now.
I think HDMI was running at 30hz was a monitor issue rather than the eGPU.

The way I have it setup right now is with a HDMI (2.0) cable from the eGPU to the monitor. No boot screen, but that's because the eGPU gets loaded/connected after the OS is booted I think.

The thing you have to disable is FileVault to get it properly boot when the monitor is connected straight to the eGPU.

USB-C/Thunderbolt connection with the monitor still doesn't work.

Return to Getting Started