Which lens for Blackmagic Pocket?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

zenbe

Which lens for Blackmagic Pocket?

PostFri May 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, I just realized I did not present myself in a "Presentation" section, I'll do this afterwards...

I am for now mostly a photographer, but I plan on moving on to a little more serious filmmaking, and when I saw that Blackmagic annouced the Pocket BMCC I knew it was for me.
High dynamic range, ProRes 220Mbps bitrate (If that really will be true, it seems way too high...), and the price is insanely low! (I am just a student, planning on using the Blackmagic for getting in in a Cinema school when I'm done with my audio engineering studies.)

But I just can't find a MFT lens that suits me... I've seen on the internet crop size is about x3 compared to 35mm FF, so what do you all think? I don't have much experience with MFT lenses, except some of Oly's good primes, but I would more need a zoom to start with, as much as I love primes for photography, I don't have the budget for 3-4 primes...

It says the Pocket will be 785€, and i'll have roughly 1100€ budget, so that leaves let's say between 300 and 350€, which is nothing.... But maybe some of you would have a brilliant idea, for some good older adaptable lenses that fits this budget. I would need a zoom around 18-85mm (35mm FF equivalent, that is).

The only choices I see in MFT are Pany 12-35 OIS, but way too expensive, maybe the 14-140 but that's just way too much zoom, I can't see how quality can be good from one focal length to another (but maybe I'm wrong), and it's a little over bugdet, and then there is the Oly 12-50, but it seems pretty crappy, isn't it? And they're all not so wide, but I guess i'll have to use ~35mm (35mmFFequivalent) as minimum focal length...

And since I'm so young I don't know all these good old adaptable manual lenses from deep ancient cinematographic history :) So if you have any advice, I'm willing to take!

Thanks!

/Oscar

Mac Jaeger

Re: Which lens for Blackmagic Pocket?

PostFri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

For starters and when on a tight budget, you can get the kit lenses from olympus / panasonic mft cameras cheap. Just look into the bay, usually there are some panasonic 14-42 lenses with ois under 100€, that will get you going. Of course you only get what you pay for, so don't expect miracles from those lenses. On the other hand these lenses play nice on 12 megapixel and more, while the pocket cc is only 2 megapixels, so resolution shouldn't be an issue.

I'm going for either the panasonic 7-14 (900€ - ouch!) or the olympus 9-18 (500€ - still itchy) and probably the 14-140 for flexibility, as well as two or three primes, depending on my budget. And of course i won't start buying any lenses before i actually hold my camera in hand - might be a while till then, and perhaps there will be more wide lenses in 2014... ;-)

With all cameras, usually the lenses are the most expensive part of your equipment - and that's especially true for blackmagics great cameras.

Christine Peterson

PostFri May 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Oscar,

Welcome to the forum! You might want to check out this thread for lens recommendations for the Pocket Cinema Camera: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7991

One forum user actually created a very useful FAQ for beginners which you might also be interested in, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7952
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

zenbe

PostFri May 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Mac and Christine!

@Mac, thanks! I know very well the Pany 14-42, having shot some short with GH2's (and 7D's and 5D's), and it is horrible! But it has O.I.S which is a very nice feature in video, that's true! But that Oly 9-18 seems like a good focal length! Does it have Stabilization?

@Christine, thanks for the link of lens recommendation! I knew there had to be a thread about it, but i didn't find anything interesting using the search engine, and BTW it is really complicated to find anything, it's made weirdly, I don't know if it's possible to make it simpler to find the results (but I didn't try advanced search, maybe it's easier with it...). I did find the FAQ though, but I didn't find anything really suitable for what I was looking for!

And does anybody know how the Oly 12-50 behaves for video?
And is there X Mount to MFT adapters? Since I shoot Fuji the Fujinon 18-55XR could be nice to have to complement the Oly 9-18 (if it has stabilization...)

Return to Getting Started