NEW TO BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTS

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

DukerDoom

NEW TO BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTS

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Hello Forum Members!

I really need your help! I have acquired a lot of Blackmagic Design equipment the past few months - mostly HD, I believe, (and 2 to 3 nice 17" HD Marshall monitors). I want to rack it all up to create two mobile 12U HD "Flypacks" PLUS some existing audio EQ I have, too. Or, have two separate BMD HD racks and an audio rack. The cameras are next, but don't know if I should go the 4k BMPC (Prod Cams) or the 4k BM Studio Cameras. Ultimately, I want a 3 to 6 camera HD system and a 3 to 6 camera 4k system. (I figure maybe I can use the 4k cams for both systems?) IDK. I can provide you with the list of products I currently have. Then, I was hoping someone could act as an "integrator" and help me (EXPLAIN OR EMAIL A DIAGRAM) so I CAN rack up and configure all this EQ so it can be best utilized altogether and accessible via the internet to tweak and monitor, etc. Can you anyone help me? Please let me know? Thank you! Duke

Denny Smith

Re: NEW TO BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTS

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 12:35 am

If you are trying to do broadcast live production, you want the BM Ursa Broadcast Cameras for a portable setup. The Steudimcameras are OK, but use Fat mount and the lens selection is not very good for Broadcast type shooting, unless you go with a corrected B4 Mount to use ENF zooms, by the time you do this, you have spent wat a Ursa Broadcast costs, and it comes with a corrected B4 lens mount. The new Pocket is OK for recording live evens to its own media, but is not a live switching camera, and again, it is a MFT mount only also, so limited to manual adapted lenses or MFT native lenses.

Only the Studio cams and Ursa Broadcast Cameras can be controlled from the ATEM CCU control, the new Pocket 4K can not, and matching it to other cameras will be problematic. The Ursa Broadcast is also a new color science 4 Camera, and matching them will be easily done.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

DukerDoom

Re: NEW TO BLACKMAGIC PRODUCTS

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 4:11 am

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the info. BMD Ursa's? Are you referring to the first production release of 4k Ursa's or the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k? (which I love). If so, are they auto focus and able to handle zoom lenses or zoom and focus is controllable from tripod handle attachments? And, next, if so, they are those Ursa's, they are the ones that are way out of my budget.

What do you recommend in an HD and 4k production camera (for shooting/recording sports, corporate events, plays, ballets, talk shows, DIY shows, food shows and even to produce commerciasl, PSAs, documentaries or short films, etc) that is more affordable and works well with the BMD product line of switchers, hubs, routers, recorders, etc?

Thank you!

Return to Getting Started