BVW-50 & Intensity Shuttle DROPPED FRAMES

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

prop-guy

BVW-50 & Intensity Shuttle DROPPED FRAMES

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Hello

I have a Sony betacam deck, BVW-50 with a built in TBC. I am using COMPONENT out from the deck to the shuttle box. I still keep getting dropped frames.

The TBC is set to NDF - "no dropped frames". Still drops.

What are the ideal capture settings I should be using?? I will be editing in Final Cut pro.

Thanx
Terry

Eric-Jan

Re: BVW-50 & Intensity Shuttle DROPPED FRAMES

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 10:56 am

My first guess is: do some checking on the cables, not too long ? are there any interference sources nearby ?
a plasma screen can be as such... :(
frame rate set correctly...
you're also sure your storage media is fast enough during the captures ? (check this with using more compressed codec for your capture)
Otherwise the signal still isn't "clean" enough for the shuttle, different tapes have the same result ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

Re: BVW-50 & Intensity Shuttle DROPPED FRAMES

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 6:34 pm

The Betacam deck TBC is not a sufficient enough for digital transfers with the Shuttle. The decks TBC was designed to work with analog equipment in an editing/viewing system, combined with genlock.

To do digital transfers with old analog tapes, that a best have tape dropout, probably the cause of the dropped frames, yiu need a full stop Broadcast Time Base Corrector/Video processor, thst can take the tape input and create a continuous time code output for the digital system to lock on to. I use a Snell and Wilcox Kudos for tape transfers, works well, and gives me component and a digital SDI (SD resolution) output. The built in video processor and ADC offer some image and co,or balance correction of the signal.

Do a search for VHS transfers on the Live Production Forum for a detailed discussion on using an external TBC for tape transfers.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started