Blackmagic cinema camera 2.5 k IR glass help adivice

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Liviu Georgescu

Blackmagic cinema camera 2.5 k IR glass help adivice

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Even though the new BMPCC4k is released and I am waiting to buy it after it gets in stock, I still refuse to sell my bmcc and bmmcc which I think I will still use for what I am doing, mostly events such weddings. Under this circumstances, I have a problem with my bmcc, the IR glass in front of the sensor has some minor scratches. They are invisible on footage, still if you have something plain white you can distinguish some shades. I search the internet and the only solution for this appears to be sending camera to blackmagic, in my case, somewhere in England. They do not send the spare part for you to replace, which in my case it's a shame. Along with this problems, I had some event which I filmed in daylight, used some ND filters (3 stops), I found that the footage on camera had a strange magenta tint. At that time I thought that was something about the white balance or maybe the glass on the ND gave the cast, but after reading some forums, I discovered that this might be some IR pollution which I saw others debate on forums. All peoples recommend Hoya ND / IR cut filters, and seems problems are gone this way. Under this circumstances, IF I mount on my mattebox a hoya filter for IR/UV cut, do I still need the one in camera or I can just remove it? I saw some discussions about contamination of sensor and other things, for me it is no problem, I think like in the mirrorless system, if the sensor is not expose and u take care, it should not be a problem. Please share your opinion and facts, I prefer replacing internal filter, but if no one sells that and also if i still need to purchase HOYA/UV IR cut hence ill be using the camera outdoors with ND which seems to enhance the contamination, if I still need the internal filter. Thnaks!

Return to Getting Started