BMPCC-4K CFAST in camera USB-C copy speed?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rpwooste

BMPCC-4K CFAST in camera USB-C copy speed?

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm trying to be reasonably cheap on memory cards and I don't want to be tied to using a tethered USB-C drive for recording. This is for personal family vacation video etc, so 90 minutes of recording max per day is totally fine.

I'm looking at getting the BMPCC-4K, a 512GB CFAST AngelFire Pro AV card, and a Samsung T5 either 1TB or 2TB USB-C drive. My plan is to record CinemaDNG 4:1 RAW DCI/60 or UHD/60 to the CFAST card, I figure I have ~90 minutes of recording capacity on a 512GB card.

Then after filling the CFAST card I plan to offload it to the USB-C Samsung T5 drive.

1) Does the BMPCC-4K offer a menu option to copy files from the CFAST to the USB-C drive? As I don't want to depend upon laptops and external readers etc.
2) How fast (MB/s) does it copy (given a CFAST card as the source and writing to the Samsung T5)
3) Do I correctly understand that I can do the above running entirely on the internal battery?
4) Any ideas how much of the internal battery capacity would be needed to copy 512GB in this way? i.e. would I need to charge the battery fully, or even multiple times, to copy 512GB?

Thanks,
Roland.

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC-4K CFAST in camera USB-C copy speed?

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 am

Short answers:
1.No. You need a computer or other Hard Drive transfer device that can read CFast cards without the camera.
2.N/A, as it is not possible
3. No, see no. 1
4. Not possible, so is unknown. Battery runs the camera in record mode for around 45 to 50 min, using an original Canon OEM Battery. The BM battery supplied lasts about 30 min. You will also need the OEM Canon Battery Charger for the Canon batteries for best results.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started