Intensity Thundebolt - new Macbook Pro not working

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Tomasweden

Intensity Thundebolt - new Macbook Pro not working

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Have a brand new Macbook Pro
macOS High Sierra 10,13,6
2.3GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB SSD storage1
Retina display with True Tone
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

The old MacBook Air was to slow to be able to use Blackmagic intensity and the Livestream software so we decided to buy a faster Mac. But now the intensity does not give any picture at al. It work at the Macbook air but to slow.
Installed the Blackmagic Desktop Video 10 11 4
We use a adapter for the USB C ports (Thunderbolt 3) to the Thunderbolt 2 Intensity and the Desktop Video Setup works, can do the settings and we try two different cameras on HDMI input and Composite but no result. The cameras works if we connect them directly to a screen but no picture on the screen when it is connected to the HDMI out on the Intensity:
The Media Express does not have any picture but on the "Device" is Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt so I guess it must be connected.

The Live Key does not work, I says : LiveKey can not run.
Is not supported on this DeckLink model

Can this be the problem ?

Many thanks for a answer
Tomas ( from Sweden, my English is not perfect as you can see )

Xtreemtec

Re: Intensity Thundebolt - new Macbook Pro not working

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Macbook with Sierra or higher you need to read the manual. There is a bug in Mac that you need to change the security settings otherwise your TB device will not work at all. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tomasweden

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 am

Have read the manual and the only security setting was to be allowed to install the programs.
I am in logged as a administrator so no problem to install the programs.

Have installed and uninstalled twice but the same result.
The programs work (except Live Key) Can do adjustment on the Intensity and the external screen that is connected on the HDMI OUT flickers when I change the settings for the Intensity so I guess that works fine. But have tried 3 cameras on different input on the Intensity and no picture.

The Livestream Studio program we also use recognise and connect to the Intensity but the same problem no picture.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Oh wait.. I see what you are trying now. BMD intensity is not a Decklink product!! ;)

Decklink products are >> https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink
And only Decklink products are able to run Livekey!! This thunderbolt intensity is too slow to run a capture and also output a different keyed signal.

This will only work on selected Decklink cards. But almost all new 4K cards do have this function. But very old decklink cards it did depending on model.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tomasweden

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 8:54 pm

It is the Intensity I am using blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

When one install the software to run the Intensety (Blackmagic Desktop Video 10 11 4) it also installs the software (Live Key) to run Decklink products.

There is no option during the installation to not install Live Key and I cant find any way to uninstall the Live Key without uninstalling everything else

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Live key is a part of the Desktop video software. But can not be used on intensity product. Also you can not uninstall it.. It is a integrated part of the Desktop video software.

Just do not use it or remove the icon if it is bothering you.

Desktop video is a piece of software that is for all capture devices of BMD. Not saying all functions work with all cards. ;)

Return to Getting Started