Mini Pro Shoulder Rig w/ no viewfinder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Mini Pro Shoulder Rig w/ no viewfinder

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Hey guys, ]

I'm just wondering if it's possible to use to the Ursa Mini Pro with a shoulder rig but without the additional viewfinder? My understanding is that the external monitor is not able to be used while the camera is put on the rig due to the positioning of the camera in relation to the camera man's eye - however, is there any potential of improvising in this regard and getting some sort of use out of it? I ask because I have access to one to rent for a day and I need to get some hand-held shots. My alternative rental is a monopod with weights at the bottom of it. Which one should I go for?

Denny Smith

Re: Mini Pro Shoulder Rig w/ no viewfinder

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 7:05 am

The EVF makes shoulder shooting much rain my opinion. But the camera operator has to be able to see what they are shooting, so either the EVF or an external monitor that is mounted forward enough to be seen, is required.

The EVF can be use while,the camera is mounted on a tripod, as it will swing up, but the camera operator will need to bend down, depending on how high the tripod is set. The SmallHD 502with sidefinder attachment also works well on the UM Pro, but is a little more bulkier than the BM EVF.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started