TVS - Video Capture and Streaming - 2 Questions

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Bob Walker

TVS - Video Capture and Streaming - 2 Questions

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:22 pm

First Q: I'm new to TVS, and found yesterday that with my set up (running through a not particularly powerful Win7 laptop - I don't have the specs here) I cannot both stream to Livestream and simultaneously capture the video output to the hard drive

Is this (a) working as designed, or (b) a function of computing power (cpu specs? memory? video card?) or (c) something else?

Will the forthcoming UltraStudio Mini Recorder be another possible solution?

Second Q: Running capture tests (we have SD cameras), in Capture Setup there is a setting slider for quality. Testing at various settings (100%, 50%, 20% and 10%) resulted in different file sizes* but no difference in quality of the images.

I didn't find any settings in Media Express which seem affect quality. I'm wondering if I am missing something? Or, as I suspect is likely, this is really an issue only for HD inputs?

= = = =
* For 1 minute of capture, without sound, the file sizes are, respectively 119MB (@100%); 76MB (@50%); 39MB (@20%); and 26MB (@10%)

Liam Kennedy

Re: TVS - Video Capture and Streaming - 2 Questions

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Well when you are streaming to livestream - their software can be configured to save the encoded video locally (I think by default it is). I agree however - it would be good if Media Express could also simultaneously save the original hardware encoded H.264 video direct from the TVS.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 5:42 am

Bob Walker wrote:Is this (a) working as designed, or (b) a function of computing power (cpu specs? memory? video card?) or (c) something else?

A. Yes
B. Software
C. Nope...the output over USB comes as H.264 and is either being used by one application or the other.

Bob Walker wrote:Will the forthcoming UltraStudio Mini Recorder be another possible solution?

Potentially. If the computer has enough horse power you could use the Mini Recorder with Media Express to capture the Uncompressed/MJPEG file and use Live stream to stream your encode.

Bob Walker wrote:Second Q: Running capture tests (we have SD cameras), in Capture Setup there is a setting slider for quality. Testing at various settings (100%, 50%, 20% and 10%) resulted in different file sizes* but no difference in quality of the images.

At SD resolutions you are unlikely to as the resolution is smaller. Encoding at Higher bitrates is only going to take up more space on the hard drive. To test this actually, play it full screen. Then do a similar test with HD resolutions at the different quality settings. You should see a more pronounced difference.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Bob Walker

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Followup - should anyone subsequently stumble across this thread and be as uninformed by the answer as I was.

I learned that with my streaming vendor, LiveStream, a video file is also automatically being created on my local hard drive as/after the streamed video is being saved at the streaming site.

With my set up, at least, it is being created in the Windows 7 'MyVideos' directory with the file name I've designated for the file on the host' server => with the date appended.

Thus, there is no need for me to use the ATEM TVS "Capture" function to have a local copy of what I have streamed.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Bob Walker wrote:I learned that with my streaming vendor, LiveStream, a video file is also automatically being created on my local hard drive as/after the streamed video is being saved at the streaming site.

Ok bob. You are officially on my " don't ever bother to try to help this person ever again".

My answer actually TOLD YOU THAT ALREADY,

Wow. Just wow.

Looking back.. You asked the original question on sep 10th at 9:22am. I responded at 9:39am (with the answer)

You get back over a month later with a comment like that. Nice Bob... Nice.

Bob Walker

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 12:14 am

My apologies - the next time I logged in I somehow missed your reply and only saw Joshua Helling's reply.

I should have read more carefully.

BTW: >>You get back over a month later with a comment like that. Nice Bob... Nice.

Well, I didn't get the info from Livestream until a few days ago. Of course, I didn't have to come back to share a definitive answer (not just an "I think") but I figured I'd share the info because of my experience as a moderator on a long running user forum for a major software seeing how the same questions often arise over time.

I'm sorry you're upset, but as I said I apologize to you.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 am

My answer was DIFINITIVE. The only part of my answer that was an "I THINK" was related to getting the Livestream software to save the file automatically.

So if you are trying to say that my answer was still not in fact an appropriate and helpful response to your original question then you're still not getting it.

But... I appreciate you acknowledging that your response above claiming the responses left you "Uninformed" was based upon missing the helpful solution I told you about over a month ago.

Let's just move on now.

Thanks.

Return to Getting Started